Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrissie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 09:58 AM
    I don't know what to do with my life
    Hi,I need some help,I really don't know what to do with my life career wise.I wish I was one of those people that always new what they wanted to do when they grew up but sadly I'm not.
    Ive always loved the idea of running my own business,in an ideal world I would own my own coffee house/tea room.but I don't want to waste my time with something that isn't worthwhile or I end up hating. Sadly I'm the type of person that gets bored easily, however this idea is one that has always stuck.
    Im almost 19 and I would like to start going somewhere with my life,I'm bored of trying things and giving up because its not going anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that could help me get my life on track?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Being 19 and not deciding what to do with your life isn't the end of the world. Lots of people don't decide what to do that early on. What truly interests you? What hobbies do you have that you could turn into a full time money making career? The possibilities are endless. You have to realize that you are growing up and not finished yet with yourself by a long shot. Relax. Do some meditation on yourself and ask yourself just what do I really like doing.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Jan 9, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Many community colleges have coursework oriented toward the person who's trying to start his/her own business. You might take a few courses of this sort and see if you enjoy this kind of work. I don't know what you're doing for a living, but you might consider taking a part time position at a local coffee/tea house to see how you like it (or, if you're unemployed, look for a full time job in a coffee house).

I'm 60 years old and have changed careers a couple of times in my life. The old notion that you need to decide what you want to Do With Your Life once & for all is pretty much dead at this point. Many or most people today will have a series of careers in their lives. You'll find that all experience is good, and that none of it is a "waste of time"... at worst, you'll learn what you DON'T want to do.

Regarding career exploration, bear in mind that we are happiest in careers which allow us to do the things we prefer, that are congruent with our personality types, and that we have (or can develop) some aptitude for. These are three different things to consider when looking at career possibilities.

Career preferences can be explored by taking the Self Directed Search (SDS), which costs 9.95USD and is one of the standard tests used by career counselors. A good book for exploring personality types and careers is Do What You Are, which asks some simple questions about your Myers-Briggs Personality Type then provides detailed information for each type including the sort of job characteristics you probably need to be happy with a job, and a list of suggested careers. You can probably find this book at your local library or bookstore. You can find a free career aptitude test at this site (you'll have to create a login and provide your email to do so).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't know what I want to do with my life [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I have just received my A level results (qualifications that lead to university for those non-UK people out there) and they were not what I had expected. I got BBC bit needed to get AAB to secure my place to do Optometry at Cardiff University. I am going to retake my A levels to get the right...

I would give my life for a girl. But I don't know if she likes me(love) [ 8 Answers ]

Yeah.. oke.. so.. There is 1 girl.. I met her about 2 years ago.. and I liked her.. like a guy likes all girls.. but the love began.. hm.. like 4 months ago.. we went to a disco.. and like from liking my feelings became more deep.. like madly in love with her.. I wrote her a poem,made her a card...

I have ruined my life.and don't know what to do [ 4 Answers ]

I moved to Canada (a new country) to be with this man that I love... I sold my house... spent all my money on immigration and moving... made my kids change schools... and all along thought since he is a really good man its for the better. My kids will have the father they deserve (my ex hasn't been...

I don't like what my life has become [ 5 Answers ]

I used to think I new what I wanted in life but now Im not so sure. Im 31 and I feel lost. I can't stop thinking that my problems are a result of my parents bad decisions and divorce. When I lived with my mom she tried hard to be there for us but it wasn't enough. I tried living with my dad but...

View more questions Search