Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Iainandbea Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Reset router and .
    Last night we reset our router as we couldn't get set up for the internet on our new laptop and a friend advised us to reset. Hmmmm, now we cannot access our secure network - but we can get the 'net' on the laptop! It doesn't help that we have forgotten the password we originally set up with.:confused:

I have tried setting up a new network, it then shows the new network in the wireless networks list but with a red cross through them!

So, we have access to the web, but not on a secure network. We use the D-Link WBR 1310, if that's any help. We are both computer idiots (as you may have guessed) so if any one can help we will be eternally grateful!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2008, 08:28 AM
    From the laptop you need to go into the router config and reset the security.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Like Scott said you'll basically have to rebuild the network which includes entering a new encription code that will be required on the other computers. Once you are up and running your router configuration page should have a feature that allows you to save your settings to a file - do that! Next time you have to reset your router you can load the settings from that file. This is useful especially if, like me, you have set up some port forwarding.

Jan 10, 2008, 01:57 PM
    OK guys - thank you for your valuable help. Sadly, I have tried step by step setting up the system from scratch but have gotten nowhere! We are still able to use theunsecured network on both computers but cannot get a hold of the secured one??

AAAGGGHHH!!

Any thing else?

Bea
    wakjak Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Just adding my 2 cents;

When you reset the router did you use a paperclip? That method will restore everything to factory settings as the router was when you purchased it. After that you should be able to setup security again.

Is the new laptop Windows Vista? Vista can sometimes be a pain to setup wireless the first time!

You should also check if you are allowing windows to manage your wireless or if you have 3rd party software.

Jackie

Jan 18, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Thanks everyone - finally admitted defeat and paid a professional. At least he was the son of a trusted friend so, even though it took 5 hours and cost $100, I know he wasn't ripping us off.It was all a complete mess. In my attempts to fix it, I had befuggled everything!

All up and running correctly now - until the next time..!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

Reset button keeps needing to be reset [ 2 Answers ]

The reset button on our oil furnace needs to be reset every 10 to 14 days. What can be the problem? We are leaving for the holidays and I'm concerned that we could come home to frozen pipes.

IE toolbar reset [ 1 Answers ]

My IE toolbars reset every time I reboot. Any customizations I've made are lost and I have to do them again. I've fixed this before in the registry, but I can't remember how. Does anyone know how to solve this?

View more questions Search