Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gadget0621 Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

Jan 2, 2006, 08:28 PM
    TMJ surgery?
    I was diagnosed with TMJ a few years ago and was told that I would need to get surgery to correct it. The pain comes a few times a year but its nothing serious but you can tell that my jaw is moving and my top teeth don't touch my bottom teeth(partly because I was a finger sucker when I was younger). I really don't want to get surgery because I heard that it can cause nerve damage are there any other options. I don't want to live the rest of my life with a huge gap between my top and bottom teeth. HELP!!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2006, 06:59 AM
    Surgery
    Hi,
    At 63 yrs old, I have had almost every imaginable tooth and gum problem one could think of; but have not had this kind of surgery.
    I can't give you any first-hand experience with it. But, I do suggest you get more than one opinion. See at least two different surgeons, (Dental Surgeons?). It always helps to get two different Professional opinions, asking them both the same questions.
    I am sure they can explain any risks involved.
    Here is a link for some good information:

http://www.ctds.info/tmj.html

I do wish you the best of luck, and Happy New Year!
    sissy34 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadget0621
    I was diagnosed with TMJ a few years ago and was told that I would need to get surgery to correct it. The pain comes a few times a year but its nothing serious but you can tell that my jaw is moving and my top teeth don't touch my bottom teeth(partly b/c I was a finger sucker when I was younger). I really don't want to get surgery b/c I heard that it can cause nerve damage are there any other options. I don't want to live the rest of my life with a huge gap between my top and bottom teeth. HELP!!!!
    I just had tmj surgery on 4-30-07 when I come out of surgery I was really swelled,in a lot of pain I still have a little swellin today not much but I have nerve damage to my chin and lip now on the side I had surgery on .it is numb I can't feel my lip or chin.I have a lot of pain in it to.they put me on some medication for the pain but its not helping.you will get very hungry and tired of suckin soup through a straw.but the good thing you can lose weight if you need to I lost 10 lbs. the first week. But all my tmj symptoms are gone no more headaches,no more pain in my neck, shoulders and back. Don't want to discourage you but it was not a good experience for me but everybody is different.if you decide to go forward with it good luck to you.let me know how you do if you have it done.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 10:06 AM
    You might want to consult with an orthodontist. Often braces can relieve TMJ problems. It sounds like you have an open bite (top and bottom teeth not touching) which is usually easily corrected with braces.
    Gadget0621 Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

May 21, 2007, 10:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sissy34
    i just had tmj surgery on 4-30-07 when i come out of surgery i was really swelled,in alot of pain i still have a little swellin today not much but i have nerve damage to my chin and lip now on the side i had surgery on .it is numb i can't feel my lip or chin.i have a lot of pain in it to.they put me on some medication for the pain but its not helpin.you will get very hungry and tired of suckin soup through a straw.but the good thing you can lose weight if you need to i lost 10 lbs. the first week. but all my tmj symtoms are gone no more headaches,no more pain in my neck, shoulders and back. dont want to discourage you but it was not a good experience for me but everybody is different.if you decide to go foward with it good luck to you.let me know how you do if you have it done.
    Wow! That is scary. My aunt had the same surgery done and she has some nerve damage with the right part of her lip. That is why I have waited so long because I have debated if the surgery is worth it. I have had several opinions and surgery is the only option for my case. I heard that you lose a lot of weight but that's not good for me at all. I am already 116 lbs but I am taking weight gain products so that I won't be extremely skinny after the surgery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fusion surgery [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,I suffer from degenerative disc disease and am contemplating fusion surgery (L3-4,L4-5)and would like to hear anyone's success/failure stories.Thx.

Plastic surgery [ 2 Answers ]

I have been doing a lot of research on plastic sergery in Brazil. The dr. I have been talking to seems really great but I don't know him and Brazil is a long ways from the U.S.A. I have seen his before and after pictures and they look amazing and I have done a lot of work in losing 140 lbs and I...

Dog having problems after surgery [ 5 Answers ]

Our akita had surgery on her cruciate ligaments (both legs) last week. There were some complications (she has some kind of immune disorder so the damage to her joints was more extensive than originally thought) and now she appears to be in a lot of pain and is not eating and no bowel movement for a...

Vanginal surgery [ 1 Answers ]

:-[ I have had four children and um I no longer enjoy sex as much. Can anything be done to get the vagina back to a more pre-birth state?

View more questions Search