Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    -buzz- Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Ride-on mower power/speed loss
    Hi, I have a Rover ride-on mower that isn't performing as well as it used to in that there has been quite a drastic loss in both speed and power in the engaged and disengaged modes. For some time it seemed as though this problem wasn't constant - sometimes it was OK but then the next time I started, even on the same day, it could be slower but today it was really crawling in 5th gear, the slowest it's ever been and really gutless on the garden slopes.

I had it serviced recently and mentioned the problem but whatever it is, they didn't fix it.

Any ideas?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 07:47 AM
    I'd suggest you take it back to whoever serviced it and tell them they didn't fix the problem and you would like them to look at it again. A good lawn shop should be able to stand by their repairs.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 09:32 AM
    What service did they do on your mower and how much were you charged?

Jan 8, 2008, 06:59 PM
    I got it seen to because the cutting deck was bent and there were a couple of leaks here and there which they fixed and they did a general service while they were at it. I just mentioned this problem in passing when they picked it up and it was actually 6 months ago and I've used it a lot since then so I can't bring it back on them.

I was really just wondering whether anyone might have a rough idea what the problem may be,

- blocked carby?
    - gear trouble?

BTW - It's a Briggs & Stratton 12.5 HP engine.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 07:01 PM
    I really doubt it has anything to do with the gears. I'd start with a carb disassembly and a good boil out. When it starts losing power do you get more smoke out of the exhaust?

Jan 9, 2008, 03:04 AM
    Can't say it's noticeable but I'll try and have a look at the carby.

Thanks for the replies.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 06:52 AM
    With power loss engaged and disengaged that should rule out the transaxle and point toward the carb.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Engine on MTD ride on mower will not turn off [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have a MTD Lawnflite Ride on Mower with a Briggs and Stratton 11hp engine Type 252707. Its about a 1986 model. The cutting deck has been removed and I have stripped it down as a basic tractor for use in my garden It has been working perfectly but recently I have a problem where, when...

MTD Ride on Mower [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a MTD ride on mower which came with the house I have just moved into It used to start and run okay, but now it seems to start and once a load is put on it seems to lose power after awhile and stop. Once it cools down it start s okay and the same thing happens again. Now...

Ride on mower replacement engines [ 1 Answers ]

I have a ride on mower with a 13.5hp engine on it. Where can I get a vertical replacement engine that is 32hp or higher with electric start? Need to price one very soon before the engine goes bad I give the engine about 2 weeks to a month

Murray ride on mower (425014x92a) bogs/stalls [ 1 Answers ]

When engaging the blade to cut, with the throttle on high, the mower comes to a practical stall. To keep it from stalling I have to quickly disengage the blade. I've checked two brake pads and they both release when the blade is engaged and they clamp the belt when disengaged. The belt seems a...

Ride on mower engine problem [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a ride on Snapper mower powered by a 14HP Briggs & Stratton engine. Model 287707, Type 023501 Code 9601084A I can start the engine with the choke engaged and it will run. But when I take it off choke the engine stalls. Do you have any idea what the possible causes could be....

View more questions Search