Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wlfn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2006, 06:03 PM
    Cell phone numbers
    How can a person look up cell phone numbers
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jan 2, 2006, 06:09 PM
    As far as I know or have been lead to believe no they can not. If you do not want some one to have it, there is an option in your phone to block your number from the people you are calling.
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jan 2, 2006, 06:10 PM
    Or just call via the operator.

In the uk you must put 141 before the number
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 3, 2006, 01:19 PM
    Numbers
    Quote Originally Posted by wlfn
    how can a person look up cell phone numbers
    If the person has had there number listed then you then you can find them in directorys but if not then they won't be showing... If you set CLI blocking on mobile phone then it will also block your number from been sent when you are calling people.

Hope that helps a little try and tell us a little more too see if there is anything else
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2006, 02:29 PM
    As far as I know there are no directories (like the white pages of most American telcos) for cell phones. Part of the reasons for this is that people pay to receive calls so they tend to give their numbers only to people they want to use it.

The best way to get someone's cell # is to ask them for it.

Jan 3, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    As far as I know there are no directories (like the white pages of most American telcos) for cell phones. Part of the reasons for this is that people pay to receive calls so they tend to give their numbers only to people they want to use it.

The best way to get someone's cell # is to ask them for it.
    That's loads different to the UK, we have the B.T phone book and you can request to have your number (mobile) added if you wish too... I learn every day, I did not know that you pay for incoming calls to your mobile in the US as we don't in the UK mind you we only really have three mobile phone companys that are any good.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2006, 04:11 AM
    Remember, too, that there are a variety of places where people give their cell phone number... and it ends up in a database somewhere.

Here is a listing of search tools all in one place that might help: InternetOracle.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2006, 04:20 AM
    Cell Phone listings
    Hi, wlfn,
    I was a customer service representative for AT&T Wireless, now Cingular, for a few months during 2004, had to retire due to family illness.
    At that time, there was talk about Cingular coming up with a cell phone book, but don't know now if it was ever published.
    I have not heard of any being released.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2006, 04:24 AM
    Verizon has a phone directory - but I'm not sure that it would include all verizon customers: it's superpages.com. Click the People Pages link at the top.

And here's a site I found that's trying to become a mega cell phone directory:
    http://www.mobilephoneno.com/

Jan 4, 2006, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nwsflash
    Thats loads diffrent to the UK, we have the B.T phone book and you can request to have your number (mobile) added if you wish too... I learn every day, I did not know that you pay for incoming calls to your mobile in the US as we don't in the UK mind you we only really have three mobile phone companys that are any good.
    I wasn't aware of that. I thought that idea of billing both sides was universal.

There is one US carrier (Sprint/Nextel) that doesn't bill for incoming calls. But all the others (Verizon, Cingular, T-Mobile, etc.) bill for "airtime". So as long as you are talking on your phone, where you made the call or received it you are billed.

Some of the carriers play with the way they calculate airtime. For example, I have one of Cingular's pay as you go plans, so I get billed by the minute. Recently I received a call and when I ended the call the timer showed 49 seconds. But then I got the call bill noticed and I was charged for 2 minutes. The explanation was I was billed for airtime which starts when my phone rings. Since I didn't pick up till the third ring, that time was included.

Scott<>

Jan 4, 2006, 10:49 AM
    Call Time's
    Scott if I was you I would call customer service as I'm sure you should only be billed per second for calls... I know that some networks have a min of say 60's billed even if your call is like only 5secs you have to pay as if it was 60secs. Im really shocked that you guys pay for incoming call -- damn in Europe that would cause a riot lol. T-mobile are in the UK as well, there one of the best networks just because they are so cheap with loads of free minutes and txt and free voicemail.

But hey you guys have got "push 2 talk", we only got sms :confused: but I know there are plans to bring it out ere some day..

Jan 5, 2006, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nwsflash
    Scott if I was you I would call customer service as im sure you should only be billed per second for calls...
    Oh, I have called. The answer I get is what I said. You are billed for airtime, not just the time from connection to termination. So, as soon as the phone rings the timer starts. If I don't pick up, I don't get billed, but as soon as I do, I get charged.

Its more of a minor annoyance. The service still winds up costing me less than $10 US per month.

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Don't Want A New Cell Phone! [ 2 Answers ]

:mad: Hi, A couple of years ago I purchaes a flip phone from ATT Wireless-about a year ago CellularOne took over. I chose the pay-as-you-go service. Last month, I was more or less informed by CellularOne that I needed to sign up for a new pay-as-you-go plan & purchase a new phone. I don't...

Already own cell phone? [ 1 Answers ]

Could someone direct me or inform me?I previously had a contract with a company who provided cell phone service(ALLTELL) The contract has been Up(1year) 9th of Jan 2005.Iwould like to use my exsisting phone(Motorola) And sign on with a new company.Most PCS will not do this,you have to use Their...

Cell phone gps [ 2 Answers ]

Ive Been Told Most New Cell Phones Have Gps. Is This True? If So How Accurate Is The Location And Can I Track This With Only Having The Cell Number. Does The Phone Have To Be Currently In Service?

Cell phone numbers [ 2 Answers ]

How can you identify who a phone number belongs to if it is listed to a cell phone? Is there a way to ID the caller or trace who the number is assigned to? I receive calls from numbers that I do not know and I have tried a reverse look-up with programs such as "Anywho" with no luck. Is anyone...

View more questions Search