Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bob1468 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Judgement against me..
    Hello,

I am hoping to receive some advice on how to handle what I feel is in correct judgement that was placed against me on my credit report. My mother passed away in 2001. She had no money in her estate to cover past bills. I received collections letters from her mortgage company in her forwarded mail. I contacted them to let them know she had passed away. From that point forward they continued to contact me and sent the letters to me. The mortgage was for 90K+ and was in her name only. I never had any involvement in this mortgage. I live in Florida and have moved a few times so I must not have received the notices from the Berks County PA courthouse. Now my report shows a judgement of 90K+ from the Berks County Courthouse and obviously is preventing me from receiving any credit. This should not be legal.. correct?? If not how would you go about fixing this? I do not have the kind of money needed to hire a lawyer to solve this.

Thank you for your Advice!
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jan 2, 2006, 07:14 PM
    Blunder
    What they have done to you is not legal and has caused you harm. First do some investigation to find where this blunder occurred and possibly who caused it. See if Berks County has a website (berks.gov or something like that). If they do, they might have recorded documents computerized, enabling you to get a quick copy of said judgment, as well as original mortgage signed by your mom. If they are not computerized, phone the county recording desk and request the documents (probably $1-$2/page) If your name is not on the judgment, send copies and dispute letters to all 3 credit bureaus for a 60+day resolution. If your name is on the judgment, someone at the mortgage company or their lawyer screwed up. If you bring the mistake to their attention, they should fix it. You most likely have some basis to sue them for the damage done to you.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2006, 10:40 AM
    Judgment
    Was any of the debts in your name?

The Credit Bureau states "Judgment", first contact the court of the allege judgment, request a copy of the file.

Review the information to see if you are listed, if not dispute the credit bureau's information, they have to remove inaccurate items.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summary Judgement [ 7 Answers ]

How much time do we have to respond to motion for summary Judgement?

Judgement [ 3 Answers ]

My question is about a judgement that was posted to my credit report. I am in the military and was deployed to Iraq when the judgement was brought to court. It is for a surgery that my now ex-wife had several years ago. I got divorced last year, and not until I went to purchase a house in a new...

Judgement for vehicle [ 2 Answers ]

Three years ago I had bad credit and brought a cadillac for 14500 with the interest it was 18500. I paid 4000 down and 600 a month for 10 months but the car kept breaking down so the car repair fees was expensive. I fell behind on paying the car and I was sued for 9700. After the judgement I paid...

Judgement and Satisfaction [ 3 Answers ]

My son recently had his checking account garnished as the result of a judgement. He has since contacted a lawyer, has settled and received a satisfaction piece. Where does he go from here? Does he have to notify his bank, credit agencies, others? If so, how does he do it? Thanks, Joe

Judgement [ 6 Answers ]

My question is about a judgement that was posted to my credit report. I am in the military and was deployed to Iraq when the judgement was brought to court. It is for a surgery that my now ex-wife had several years ago. I got divorced last year, and not until I went to purchase a house in a new...

View more questions Search