Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teknotekke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 11:04 PM
    I co-signed a 4 year lease and want out
    So my girlfriend and I signed a 4 year lease together in August. We thought we would last forever and we didn't. So now I want to move out but need to find a way to get my name off the lease. I called the landlord and her only suggestion was that someone else move in in my place and sign their name to the 4 year lease. Now we all know that no one is as stupid as me for signing that thing. So option 2 possibly would be that my ex take over the whole lease. The problem with that is that she can't technically afford it on her own. Now I'm wondering if she got a second job, could she then be approved? The other thing I thought about is what if I had letterhead from my job that said I needed to relocate for work? Could that get my name off the lease? When I called the landlord all I said was that I needed to move. I didn't say why. I'm an idiot, I know. But does anyone have any suggestions?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Hello tek:

Nahhh. They don't care if you need to move to timbuktoo for work, or if you now HATE your live in. What they care about is the lease you signed.

Can you get off the lease? I don't know. Anything can be negotiated. Will they accept your offer?? I again don't know. How much you got?

excon
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Jan 7, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Money TALKS and then you can WALK... offer them 2 months rent and ask to have them provide a WRITTEN RELEASE of you responsibilities under your lease... otherwise, get HER to move out, then you can work with mgmt/landlord on getting out of the lease and getting them to re-rent the apt.

Do this RIGHT or it will haunt you for YEARS!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease prior to occupancy.lease already signed [ 13 Answers ]

Help. My question is this... i signed a lease to rent a single family home... i gave a 200.00 deposit to hold it/toward security. I am unable to move into the home because i have to go out of state for a very ill family member (mother). ive tried to contact "LANDLORD" several times when i heard of...

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Are email commitments to lease binding if the lease has not been signed? [ 1 Answers ]

We have 2 emails from a rentor stating that they will take the property for the summer (like they have for the last 3 years) and that they are putting the lease and the check for the total rent amount in the mail. We then received an email saying they changed their minds. We never received the...

Getting out of a co-signed lease [ 2 Answers ]

About 5 years ago I lived with a friend of mine and we signed a year lease for an apartment. We were only there for a couple of months before she accidentally got pregnant and we could no longer live there. She assured me that she would take care of the penalty fee for breaking the lease but when...

Lease signed and not moved in [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I signed the leasing documents with an apartment on July 16'th for one year and the move in date was August 1'st. I have a situation where I may have to go to my home country for sometime because of my fathers health condition and I am leaving on August 12'th. I am not sure...

View more questions Search