Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ericstewart Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2006, 05:23 PM
    Bathroom flooring
    I had to replace a piece of subfloor and am now ready to cut and lay my plywood before laying vinyl tiles. My question is this: does the subfloor have to be leveled and filled or can I just lay my 1/4 plywood down and fill over nail holes then apply my vinyl tiles.
    Here's what I've got so far tongue and groove subfloor then 3/4 osb over that and I am stuck as to the above.
    mischievous Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2006, 06:02 PM
    Remember, the closer to level the easier it will be to lay out the laminate. I am not saying it needs to be perfect. Also give serious thought to glueing and nailing or stapling the subfloor down. I would also suggest a particle board for subfloor rather than a plywood. PB is more dense and smoother. The laminate glue will go on better.

Mischievous
    ericstewart Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2006, 06:16 PM
    Thank you for the reply. I am using plywood because the associate at menards recommended it instead of luan as he says luan excretes oils that get soaked up into vinyl causing a permanent stain. I spread a thin layer of filler over the uneven portion of osb and am going to paint my underlayment with mold and mildew paint after filling. Then I am using the sticky-back tile instead of all the other mess. Thanks again
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 2, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Don't fill anything on the 3/4 subfloors for expansion purposes. On the 1/4 ply, butt joints tight, nail or air staple every 3" along seams, 6" in the field. Any discrepancies in the 1/4 can be filled and sanded smooth before tile installation

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate flooring problems [ 2 Answers ]

Have you ever heard about using a t-bar when installing laminate flooring. We just remodeled and had the floor professionally installed . Some spots seem to be rippling. The had an inspector come in and verified the installation is good,level,there is a 1/4 in gap around perimeter. It's a top of...

Kitchen flooring [ 1 Answers ]

I was surprised to note that my kitchen floor is disintergrating at the joints. It is a floor made from some kind of heavy duty "plastic tiles" (for lack of a better word as I don't know what this material is called) it is however very impressive and does look like tiles if you don't look closely....

Vinyl flooring [ 2 Answers ]

Is it OK to install vinyl flooring directly on top of a cement slab.

View more questions Search