Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2003, 05:18 PM
    International divorce
    Hello

I have a few questions involving a divorce between an Australian - me - and my American wife.

Background:
    I was living in the USA from '98 until March of this year when I left because my wife and I separated. We were married in April of 2002 and resided in New York until March of 2003.

We have been using a family friend of hers for drawing up the divorce and the financial agreement. The further we go down this process the more she keeps increasing the financial payout that she's expecting from me.

It's looking more and more like I should get my own lawyer BUT I really don't want to spend thousands of US dollars on a lawyer.

Question:

If I decide to ignore all future contact from her and she proceeds with the divorce WITHOUT any input nor legal representation from me, can the court's financial ruling in New York state be enforced in NSW Australia? (Let's say for argument sake that I'm ordered to pay $us10,000 to pay off HER credit card bills)

Thanks in advance !

Luke

David Garcia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2005, 11:14 PM
    International divorce
    Hello,

I have a few questions of my own:

I'm a US citizen leaving in the US and I have a girlfriend in Chile.
    The problem we have is that she was married in Italy and had a child there in 1997. She left Italy when the child was four years old.
    The child is 8 years old, see's the father 15 days a year because he resides in Italy. My girlfriend filed for divorce in 2001 and has been living in Chile ever since. In July of 2004 she was granted a CONSENSUALE SEPARATION . She was giving full custody of the child with only child surpport (by law in Italy) and now we want to get married in the US. My question is, if she wants to remarried what do we need to do. Can the divorce be granted in the grounds of remariage? I need to know what laws apply to this so we can move forward or have someone we can talk to or e-mail us. Can there be any problems as a result of remarriage? Can she lose custody of her daughter? I heard she can get a divorce in the US in order to remarried and it would be granted. Can this be true?
    Please reply a.s.a.p we love each other very much. Thanks, David
    ug33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2005, 03:49 AM
    International divorce laws
    I was married in San Francisco, CA to a Czech citizen. We then moved to the Czech Republic and were married there. We both still reside in CZ, and have recently gotten a divorce. I, an american, am planning to move back permanently to the US and was wondering if our divorce in CZ had any relevance on our US marriage - or if we would have to go through the whole procedure in US again.
    ped_vas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2005, 08:53 PM
    I would like to know also about this . I am a chinese married woman and would like to divorce my husband. We were married in china and he too is here, I would like to know if we can get divorce here. Also is it required to have a divorce lawyer here and how much does the whole thing cost

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

International divorce [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was married in Manila, my spouse is still there and I am in the States. What do I do/ what is the process for getting an international divorce? Thanks:(

International divorce [ 2 Answers ]

My husband is an American citizen; we now have a 4 months old son. He used to live in Haiti and there was married and had a son from that marriage. His son is now8 years old. He got divorced 5 years ago in Haiti as well. His ex-wife is now living in the US and is demanding financial support. The...

View more questions Search