Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kcarr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Cooktop 220V reduces to zero under load
    While replacing one of the cooktop switches in an old Tappan cooktop, the voltage across L1 and L2 is 220 volts while switch is off. When any of the switches is on the voltage drops to under 1 volt across all the L1 and L2 on all of the switches in series and does not deliver any voltage to across H1 and H2. Is this a circuit breaker failure in the electrical panel or is there something being missed in the cooktop?

Anyone have a clue? Need help. Wife wants to cook and it's getting real ugly.:mad:
    KC
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2006, 04:49 PM
    The switches are connected in parallel. You should be able to disconnect that switch, and all the other ones work normally. Perhaps the best fix for now, until after dinner time. Tape the terminals to that switch up or something to keep them from touching each other or any metal. With the power back on, the other 3 should be enough to fix dinner.

That may give me time to figure out what the problem is, or better yet, tkrussel drop in, the top dog in electrical and lighting. Been some good posts from other here recently too. Be sure and post back if didvconnecting the switch doesn't get the rest working.
    Kcarr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2006, 08:01 AM
    I tried isolating the switches one at a time and all four switches have the same characteristics. If all are off the supply voltage is 220V across L1 and L2. When any of the four are swithed on, the pilot light flashes just as you pass the divot from off to the first on position and then the light turns off and the voltage drops below 1 volt across H1 and H2. I have no experience with circuit breaker failures, but could it be caused by the circuit breaker not supplying enough amperage?:confused:

Thanks
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Jan 3, 2006, 08:28 PM
    Most stove tops have two hots, a ground, and they also have a nuetral.If it is hard wired in you may have a nuetral problem in the panel if it has a plug in on the back you may have a loose wire in that plug or at the panel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jenn-air Gas Cooktop, Igniter Malfunction [ 4 Answers ]

I need help with a Jenn-Air Gas Cooktop, with all knobs in the off position, one of the igniters, sparks once, every 45 seconds on it's own. I have tried re-adjusting the knob to the off position but, this has no effect. Any ideas, to this mysterious spark? Thanks in advance, for any suggestions....

Hot water pressure reduces to a trickle [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on the hot water in my shower, the pressure drops and trickles out of the shower head. It only seems to be the hot side which leads me to believe that there might be an issue with the water heater. I think it drops in the bathroom sink as well but not the kitchen sink. The water...

220v 50a welder, 220v 30a dryer plug [ 1 Answers ]

I just got an arc welder that is 220v 50a. I thought I could plug it into the 220v receptacle in my garage, not realizing how many different types of 220v plugs and amperages there are. The receptacle in my garage turns out to be a 220v 30a dryer plug. My question is can I just change the...

Cpu load 100% [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, Lately my PC has been running at 100% CPU Load constently. It is the 'System' process that is taking up the load. I tracked it down to the driver ACPI.sys, using process explorer. OS Windows XP Pro CPU P4 2.8Ghz Can anyone think of a way I can fix this problem?

View more questions Search