Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gatnus Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2006, 02:12 PM
    Weaning from Prednisone
    How do I know when it is the right time to wean from Prednisone and what series of steps should I take to wean from 5 mg of Prednisone? (I have Polymyalgia Rhematica)
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2006, 02:37 PM
    You should really consult your physician about this one. I used to take prednisone for severe asthma, and 5 mg a day is not a very high dose (I was taking 50 mg and sometimes more), but it's still very dangerous to stop prednisone on your own, for various reasons. So you really need close supervision by a doctor.

Jan 2, 2006, 02:45 PM
    Weaning from prednisone
    Thanks for your answer. My doctor told me I could stop 5 mg immediately as the body will make up for it but my numerous readings question my doctor's advice and I think I should cut back very slowly.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2006, 02:58 PM
    Is your pill graded, I mean, can it be cut in half? Because if so you could try cutting it in half and taking 2.5 mg a day for a few days before stopping all together. However, if your doctor says it's okay to stop, it probably is. Like I said 5 mg is a comparatively small dosage. It also depends on how long you have been taking prednisone. If you've been taking it for only a week or less you can stop.

Jan 2, 2006, 04:09 PM
    Weaning from prednisone
    Unfortunately I have been on prednisone for almost 3 years... it is for this reason I can very concerned about how to wean off it from 5 mg. (My highest dose was 25 mg)

Thanks for your reply
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2006, 08:47 AM
    Weaning
    Hi,
    If you are not happy with your particular doctor's advice, then please see a different doctor. You might get another Professional opinion on how to go about it.
    Happy New Year, and I do wish you the best.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 3, 2006, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gatnus
    How do I know when it is the right time to wean from Prednisone and what series of steps should I take to wean from 5 mg of Prednisone? (I have Polymyalgia Rhematica)
    Prednisone is in the steroid category and should not have been administered unless no other medication worked. In my opinion, the current doctor just did not want to deal with the extensive trying and ruling out the proper medication for you. What you have is a type of 'soft tissue' arthritis and it could have been handled with other meds. I know this because I have this condition and also debilitating arthritis and have refused steroids since I think it's still too early in my life to take that 'last step' if nothing else works. I would definitely see another doctor, preferably a Rheumatologist and let him find the proper regimen of meds for you to take, and also the exercises you can do to regain some power over your own body. Since you were on a higher dosage, and now on the lowest, you could either cut then in half and take 2.5 mg for two weeks, then stop - but never without being under doctor's supervision. It is possible, and the sooner you get off them, the better. Good Luck and please keep us posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weaning kittens [ 3 Answers ]

I have decided to keep one of the kittens from my cat's litter and need to know how to ween her from the mother. The mother cats desperately needs to get back on her Front-line. The fleas are starting to take over again and she is very allergic. She is starting to lose her hair. I do quite a...

Weaning kittens [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering what is a good food to start weaning kittens on There only 4 weeks but there mother isn't milking that well so I was wanting to feed them and let them nurse too

Weaning 5-week-old kitten [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been syringe-feeding an orphaned kitten since she was 2 weeks old... and she loves it. However, at nearly six weeks, she should be starting to eat some solids. I just can't get her to take any interest in it! I put basically the same stuff I'm feeding her from the syringe in a little...

Puppy not taking to weaning [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am weaning my litter of puppies they are all doing fine Except one He will eat then sit in the corner and vomit he does not look good it almost seems he is alergic to the food. But he will nurse OK

View more questions Search