Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mividafantastica Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Dual residency and tax filing
    I have a close friend who lives full time in NJ and for the purposes of his divorce and his tax returns, claims NJ residency. He also works in NJ. However, he has a Pennsylvania driver's license, car registration and insurance - he uses an empty house that belongs to his dad for an address in Pennsylvania. Since he grew up in that house, he feels he should be able to keep it as an address. Should he file taxes in NJ or in Pa or both? Can he claim dual residency if he does not live in the Pennsylvania house, yet does not have a NJ driver's license? Is he putting himself at risk of violating any laws with this arrangement? Thank you!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 05:52 PM
    He's setting himself up for more headaches having the arrangement of drivers license in a different state from where he actually lives and car registration in wrong state also. A person needs to have their drivers license and car registration at the address where they actually reside. A person generally has 10 days from when they move to properly notify the DMV of their new address. For starters he should get the d/l in the state he actually lives in. If say, he has an auto accident and wishes to claim damages or wants to claim physical injuries he quite could have huge problems come at him where he least expected them to come from. Legally you live where you have your clothing... not the house where you grew up in. If he is doing this for income tax purposes and wishes to pay lower taxes, then I would say to him. "Mr. stop fooling yourself and get with the program of paying your fair share of where you actually live and work". The telling phrase I picked up from your post is the "divorce" aspect. What is he trying to hide?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 07:34 AM
    I agree with Twinkiedooter.

Your friend is making his life a hell of a lot more complicated than necessary.

He has to file in NJ regardless, because he works there. By maintaining residence in PA, he obligates himself to file in PA as well. The tax credit offered by PA for paying NJ taxes will keep him frombeing double-taxed, but he has to file a PA tax return when it is NOT really necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Residency? [ 12 Answers ]

I'm wondering what is dual residency? I recently decided to rent an apartment in PA for my job assignment in New York but my home is in Maryland. I'm not sure if this will be considered a PT resident in PA or dual residency? Any feedback is helpful! Thank you!

Dual-status filing, and L1 [ 3 Answers ]

I moved to US last July 15th under a L1 visa, so I'll have 169 days by the end of this year. According to https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/criteria-dual-status-filing-64475.html I may chose to fill taxes under non-resident alien or as resident-alien, but there's no obligation by law to use...

What constitutes dual residency for Taxes in CA and DC? [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a CA congressman, grew up and went to college in CA, vote in CA, and live in DC. My state taxes are paid to CA, but apparently I have to file a DC state tax return because I live there year-round and was paid a small amount for work I did in DC separate from my duties on a congressional...

Dual Status Filing [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India. For the year of 2006, I was on OPT from Jan through March and on H-1B from April through December... I have two W-2 forms... So I assume that I should file my taxes as a dual status alien... Is that true? If yes, I understand that I should file two forms (1040 and...

Dual residency status and education deductions [ 1 Answers ]

I was on an F1 student visa from 2000 to 2006, and became a resident alien for tax purposes in 2005 (the sixth calendar year I was in the US). I moved permanently from the US to Canada in November 2006, and was considered a resident for tax purposes in Canada once I arrived there. I was told by...

View more questions Search