Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carltm802 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Evicting a sister from a home I own
    My mother signed the deed of her home over to my husband and I after we paid the taxes to her home the had been foreclosed on by the city for failure to pay said taxes. The problem is the house also came with a sister and 3 children. The sister is nothing but trouble who thinks the world owes her. How do I go about evicting her in the state of ma.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Contact the county sheriff's office. They'll be able to advise you as to proper procedure. Generally a 30-day notice is required.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carltm802
    my mother signed the deed of her home over to my husband and i after we payed the taxes to her home the had been foreclosed on by the city for failure to pay said taxes. the problem is the house also came with a sister and 3 children. the sister is nothing but trouble who thinks the world owes her. how do i go about evicting her in the state of ma.
    I found this section under MA law to be interesting: "Do I need a reason to evict my tenant?

Yes and No. If the reason for eviction is a violation of a lease term or nonpayment of rent, this reason must be spelled out in both the Notice to Quit and on the Summary Process Summons and Complaint. In all other cases, while the substantive law of the Commonwealth may not always require a reason for termination of a tenancy, the rules of Summary Process require a reason for eviction. The reason might be simply that a tenant is holding against the right of the landlord after the tenancy has been terminated."

The forms are available at stationery stores.

Does your sister have a lease? Is she up to date with the rent?
    temedina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carltm802
    my mother signed the deed of her home over to my husband and i after we payed the taxes to her home the had been foreclosed on by the city for failure to pay said taxes. the problem is the house also came with a sister and 3 children. the sister is nothing but trouble who thinks the world owes her. how do i go about evicting her in the state of ma.
    I just wanted to say I totally understand what you are going through. My sis is 25 no job ni life doesn't leave the couch and thinks the world owes her. Can't live w them Can live without them. Best of luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 07:56 PM
    If you wish to live in the house, or such, also since she is a teannant and if not on a lease, you merely start charging her rent, *it will have to be fair to what she is renting** then if she does not pay, you can evict for non payment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting a guest in your home [ 3 Answers ]

My brother has a girl friend living in his home who he invited to stay with him after her landlord served her with a 3-day eviction notice. Now he is trying to get her out but she has called the police on him and the police told him that he cannot just put her out because she is a resident in his...

Evicting my exboyfriend from my home which I own. [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the state of NJ and own my home. My boyfriend moved in in November 2006. I told him I was breaking up with him in May. I have asked him to leave numerous times and he will not do so. He does not want the relationship to end. I have repeatedly told him it is over and we will not be...

Evicting a tenant from my own home. [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a homeowner in Washington state who is renting out one bedroom in my house. I wrote up a rental agreement, month to month, with a specific set of monies due. First and last months rent plus 250 pet deposit. She has only paid $500 for the first months rent. She agreed to pay $250 pet...

Evicting sibling from deceased parents home-rights [ 6 Answers ]

Adult sibling lived in deceased Missouri parent's home for five years. Paid no rent, used $20,000 in funds for own use-bank records document the usage. Need to get sibling out of house. Pot smoker caused extensive smoke damage that now needs to be removed from home. Occupant sibling willing to...

View more questions Search