Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    little firefly Posts: 139, Reputation: 36

Jan 6, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Older women/Younger men.I'm confused
    Ok, so I've finally (FINALLY!) decided to re-enter the dating worth after months and months of being a crying, hopeless, helpless, pathetic shell of a human being. There's just something that has me a bit puzzled. Maybe some of you guys can clue me in.

As some of you know from previous posts, I work on the weekends as a Go-Go dancer at an 80's dance club. I'm allowing myself to be more receptive to guys who take an interest in me, since I'm finally moving on with my life. I've noticed however, that a majority of these guys are like 21 and 22 years old (I'm 37). I'm finding that this happens a lot to my other single female friends as well. I don't have a problem with dating guys who are younger than me, but there are thoughts that keep running through my head... When these young men were in diapers, I was one of the many Madonna wannabes running around in crazy outfits (much to my parents disapproval). When they were learning to talk, I was using words such as bodacious, awesome, and bombdigity. I was a teenager during a time when Michael Jackson was normal, you bought music in the form of vinyl records, Molly Ringwald was the queen of teen movies, MTV actually played music videos (yes, it's true), and there was no such thing as the internet (GASP! ) :eek: . I was married when these guys were just starting school.

So, am I missing something? Why do a lot of younger guys take an interest in older women? Is this like a new thing or have I just been in the dark for too long? I'm just really curious. Another thing... Would it be a horrible thing for me to actually go out to dinner and a movie with someone that age? I don't know how I would react if I was out on a date with someone that was thought to be my son! Jeeeez, I feel so old and clueless right now!!
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Two things: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Obviously, you have the qualifications to hold your job, and you are appreciated by the customers.

I would not date a customer, unless you want other issues. Nothing wrong at all with dating a younger guy, in my view. Just keep the pacifier and kleenex concealed in your purse.

Jan 6, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Just keep the pacifier and kleenex concealed in your purse.
    LOL, thanks George, I'll keep that tip in mind. :)
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Jan 6, 2008, 10:39 AM
    As far as the young guys go... guilty as charged. I had a thing for a lady friend who was about twelve years older than me. It was mostly about the companionship. I wanted to cuddle and be with a woman who can hold a conversation. Someone not worried about clicks or what their friends will think. She even introduced me to her kids. Some young men just want to experience a woman in her prime and maybe they can learn a thing or two, or twleve, or fourteen. You go girl, have fun and enjoy the attention!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 10:41 AM
    I think that a lot of your questions can be answered by the same reasons that women prefer older men. A lot of 20-something women are stereotyped as being shallow golddiggers. Moreover, since most women in their early 20s are in pursuit of older men, that only leaves women your age for the 20-something men. In my opinion there's no harm in you dating one.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 11:22 AM
    I think you should taste it all, but am leery about dating customers. That sounds to messy for me. Now having fun is another matter.
    MissingHim2Much Posts: 252, Reputation: 37

Jan 6, 2008, 11:32 AM
    This post is crackin me up... I know everyone probably knows my story, but if you haven't read the earliest of my threads then you might not know that my ex is 19 yrs younger then me. Other then the way my relationship ended I can say in all honesty it was the best relationship I ever had.

We had 7 GREAT years together and were more compatible then all the people I know that are the same age in their relationships.

Now that I'm single the only offers for dates I've gotten are from 20 something men as well. I was just asking a friend of mine... Where are all the old guys? LOL

Honestly I don't mind dating the young guys at all. I just have a bit of a trust issue with them right now... Although I don't think my break up was age related, It is probably an underlining factor. That being he wanted a child but I couldn't conceive.

I can say that young guys are FUN firefly, so GO FOR IT..
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by little firefly
    Why do a lot of younger guys take an interest in older women?
    Well, I don't know if your generalization is valid. What I deduce from your story is that younger guys who frequent dance clubs take an interest in Go-Go dancers. I doubt the dancer's age has much to do with it.

Jan 6, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Well, I don't know if your generalization is valid. What I deduce from your story is that younger guys who frequent dance clubs take an interest in Go-Go dancers. I doubt the dancer's age has much to do with it.
    Yeah, I can understand that point of view Ordinaryguy, and it's probablty true. The thing is though I have a couple of good female friends who are my age and single. They both hold down normal jobs, have kids, and don't even go to clubs, but they get asked out by younger guys too.

Oh, and just to clarify... I dance COMPLETELY clothed! lol. I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm a stripper! :eek: I dress retro goth and it's my job to be out on the dancefloor or up on the stage to help keep the atmosphere going. I'm kind of like the club cheerleader, keeping everyone's spirits up. :)
    EuRa Posts: 315, Reputation: 64

Jan 6, 2008, 12:53 PM
    I wouldn't expect a long term relationship from any of these guys. Im not saying it can't possibly happen, but I'm 27 and I remember wanting to get with a late thirtys early fortys woman just for the sexual experiences alone. I wasn't thinking about a relationship though, hell no.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Younger woman, older man [ 9 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship for a year now. Everything was going well and we were very happy. He recently went to the doctor and the doctor said that he has a prostate infection, that can later on lead to prostate cancer. We have not had any kind of sexual contact for more than 1 month, and it...

Older woman / younger man [ 10 Answers ]

What's the motivation here? I've ALWAYS dated younger guys, but it seems like it's more pervasive lately (Cameron/Justin, Demi/Ashton). When I go out, no one my age even talks to me, but men 7-10 years younger are pretty into me. (I also look young for my age, but come on.) Any opinions or...

Older Woman/Younger Man [ 2 Answers ]

I have been dating someone 19 years younger than I am. He is 20 and I am 38, with 2 kids. We came together a year ago when he was in need of a friend and I in need of companionship. I have known him for about 2 years and we were friendly. When we started hanging out/talking, he told me he...

Older him.younger me! [ 6 Answers ]

Hey there, To start I am going to say that I'm in a little dilemma here. I am currently single but me and my ex boyfriend still share communication, he visits me regularly, and we love each other. Now this is where the problem comes in. I've known this guy at work for a while and at first I...

Older woman, younger man [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend is torned between me and his motherand he feels like he has got to choose, how can I deal with this type of situation

View more questions Search