Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gtscales Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Verifying carrier to hunter thermostat wiring choices
    I've just bought a Hunter programmable thermostat. I'm replacing a non-programmable Carrier thermostat that I don't think is that old (the house is ~ 4 yrs old now). I'm not 100% sure on the wiring. Can someone verify the hookup I've used below? Thanks,

Tim

Original Carrier Wire Code => Hunter Wire Code

G => G
    C => RC
    R => RH
    Y => Y/O
    W => W/B

FYI - All of the available Hunter wire codes are RH, RC, G, Y/O,W/B and Y1.
    Frdbrkl Posts: 94, Reputation: 7

Jan 6, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gtscales
    I've just bought a Hunter programmable thermostat. I'm replacing a non-programmable Carrier thermostat that I don't think is that old (the house is ~ 4 yrs old now). I'm not 100% sure on the wiring. Can someone verify the hookup I've used below? Thanks,

Tim

Original Carrier Wire Code => Hunter Wire Code

G => G [Fan-ok]
    C => RC [NO! C is the Common (neutral) terminal and is used to power the thermostat off the furnace transformer. RC is HOT/24V for Cooling)
    R => RH [Hot/24V for heat. Place a jumper between RC and RH]
    Y => Y/O [Compressor Contactor]
    W => W/B [Heat Relay]

FYI - All of the available Hunter wire codes are RH, RC, G, Y/O,W/B and Y1.
    Standard wiring convention noted above. The Hunter should have a C terminal (unless it's solely battery operated) to provide a neutral from the system to power the thermostat.

If it's solely battery operated (and judging from available terminals, it is) wire it like this:

G-G
    C-abandon, tape up wire
    RH-jumper wire from RC to RH
    RC-R
    W-W/B

And this should put you in business. If not, check the furnace and see if the 3 amp fuse is blown from the miswiring of C to RH. Replace fuse, cycle. If that doesn't work, you'll need a contractor to find and repair the open component (transformer?Thermostat?)

For the record... Hunter thermostats are simply not that good. I recommend the Honeywell Touchpro or Vision Pro stats. Much more reliable (5 year warranty) and much more accurate. Hunter makes nice ceiling fans, but falls wayyyy short on thermostat quality. Besides, with this model, when the batteries in the thermostat go dead, your system will quit working completely. With a stat powered by the furnace, you only lose power when you lose power to the furnace.

I hope this helps.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 11:53 AM
    One of the best resources on the net for wiring thermostats is https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html

If you don't connect the yellow wire to something, you will miss your A/C in the spring.

Note, I don't know about the Hunter, but some thermostats manage to power off the furnace without a common.

Jan 6, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Frdbrkl
    Standard wiring convention noted above. The Hunter should have a C terminal (unless it's solely battery operated) to provide a neutral from the system to power the thermostat.

If it's solely battery operated (and judging from available terminals, it is) wire it like this:

G-G
    C-abandon, tape up wire
    RH-jumper wire from RC to RH
    RC-R
    W-W/B

And this should put you in business. If not, check the furnace and see if the 3 amp fuse is blown from the miswiring of C to RH. Replace fuse, cycle. If that doesn't work, you'll need a contractor to find and repair the open component (transformer?Thermostat?)

For the record.....Hunter thermostats are simply not that good. I recommend the Honeywell Touchpro or Vision Pro stats. Much more reliable (5 year warranty) and much more accurate. Hunter makes nice ceiling fans, but falls wayyyy short on thermostat quality. Besides, with this model, when the batteries in the thermostat go dead, your system will quit working completely. With a stat powered by the furnace, you only lose power when you lose power to the furnace.

I hope this helps.
    And of course, Y-Y. My bad...

Jan 6, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    One of the best resources on the net for wiring thermostats is https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html

If you don't connect the yellow wire to something, you will miss your A/C in the spring.

Note, I don't know about the Hunter, but some thermostats manage to power off the furnace without a common.
    You're absolutely right regarding the y-y. You're also correct with the power assumption-BUT...

Some of the early control boards (Lennox, Trane, Carrier) had issues with the "power stealing stats" and would cause some very strange symptoms due to "feedback" issues-many simply would not work! Carrier now sells modules that wire into the furnace to provide an artificial neutral, but that is a separate component in itself separate from the furnace or transformer. I believe it's called an "Add a wire" or some such. I prefer to keep it simple, and pull a neutral (or use an unused stat wire) from the furnace and power the thermostat directly from the low voltage side. I try not to go too much in detail and keep it simple for homeowners-or they'll get lost in "information overload".

The Honeywells will work off batteries OR 24VAC (but don't use both per Honeywell tech support) just as well, but as I stated earlier-when the batteries die, so does the heating/cooling equipment.

I've been doing HVAC/R for 15 years, and have seen MANY Hunter, Maple Chase, and Lux thermostats hit the dumpster after taking a system on a joy ride-that's why my loyalty to Honeywell. With the exception of the Chronotherm 3, they're almost bulletproof.

Besides... there's a reason the Hunter is $29.95 and the Honeywell is $69.00-and it isn't all mark up. It's similar to the difference between a Yugo and a Honda. They'll both get you there, but which is more reliable-and where heating and cooling are concerned, I'll go for reliability EVERY time.

BTW... thanks for the links.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter Thermostat wiring [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I seem to have "developed" a problem tonight. I just removed my old manual thermo and labeled the wiring accordingly. It looked the heat hot came into a spot labeled "4". Then it was jumpered to Rc. So when I hooked up the Hunter programmable 44360, there was already a jumper between Rc and...

Hunter Thermostat Wiring [ 11 Answers ]

I have an older Honeywell electromechanical programmable thermostat which I want to replace with a Hunter Model 44360 electronic programmable thermostat. I can figure out the "w", "g", "r" and "y" wires but I have a blue wire on terminal "c" and a brown wire on another terminal marked"c" on the...

Wiring a carrier ac to a hunter thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I Need To Know Witch Wires To Hook Up From The Ac To The Thermostat Since They Do Not All Match In Color. I Have A 3 Ton Carrier Ac.the Wires For The Thermostat From The Ac Are Light Green Yellow Tan Orange The Thermostat Hookups Are W

Carrier to Hunter Thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a non-programmable 6-wire Carrier thermostat (TSATCCNHP01-B) and I want to install a programmable Hunter (model "Auto Saver" 44550). The Carrier now has the: * Blue wire connected to O/W2 * Red -> R * Yellow -> Y/Y2 * Green -> G * Black -> C * White -> W/W1. I am confused about how...

Carrier to Hunter wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I recently moved into an apartment with a very old Carrier thermostat (I think, too old to tell what it is). The wiring of this current unit is as follows: R O G1 Y W2 C I would like to exchange this unit for a Hunter programmable thermostat with the following terminals:

View more questions Search