Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Appletree2468 Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Jan 5, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Hampton Bay ceiling fan light
    Hello,
    I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan/ 3 light combo. It has the pull chains but it is controlled by a wallmounted switch that controls the light with an on/off /dimmer. There are also lo-med-hi buttons on this switch for the fan. There is no remote. The fan was in the house when I purchased it.

I was having a problem with the light bulbs flickering on and off. As soon as you touched the bulb or twisted it slightly the bulb would come back on. I figured that the light sockets must have a loose connection somewhere or they where going bad.

I took the light fixture assembly apart to replace the pocelain light sockets. When I took the light assembly apart I noticed that there was one white wire that had started to wear through where it had been jammed in at initial assembly. :( I am really glad I took it apart before it wore through and there was a serious problem.

I replaced all 3 porcelain light sockets with out a problem. Wire nutted all the black wires together and all the white wires togthter that I had cut to replace the sockets.

Re-installed the light fixture assembly. Turned the light on. It came on, but the dimmer would not work. The fan would turn but the speed settings did not seem to work. Then 15 seconds later something went poof and the light would not work at all. The fan would run if you used the pull chain but would not work from the wall switch.

The red light comes on at the wall switch, but nothing happens when you hit the buttons. I swapped out the battery and it made no difference. Nothing works.

I took down the light assembly again and all the connections look good and tight. There is power on the female side of the main 9 wire connector plug, but nothing works.

Any ideas as to what is wrong or how to fix it??

Thanks for your help!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 08:50 PM
    Ok, when the speed settings did not seem to work on the fan, did you try pulling the pullchains? Did you in fact accidentally pull the light pullchain instead of the fan one?

I have a theory about what happened here.

Jan 5, 2008, 09:08 PM
    I pulled them both since I did not know which chain controlled what.

I think that I pulled the light chain first.

If I remember correctly I moved the slide switch for the fan forward/reverse and that is when it went poof.

I was just trying all the switches/chains to see if I could get it to work

What's your theory?
    mndayoh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 09:33 PM
    I don't know but did you wire the dimmer to the fan and not the lights by mistake that's what it sounds like to me
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 09:59 PM
    My theory is when you connected all the wires together for the light, you connected the pullchain wrong, so that when you pulled the chain it created a short and fried the receiver.

Try disconnecting the switch and the remote receiver. Hook the fan up directly (make note of how everything was hooked first). See if everything works as it should from the pullchains. If so the receiver is toast and you either have to do without it or get a new one.

Jan 6, 2008, 10:32 AM
    From the way it went out something definitely fried. Not sure how it happened as I was very careful in cutting the wires and wire nutting them back together. But in any case...

There are 2 pull chain switches. One has 4 wires. I assume that this one is for the fan. The other has 2 wires which should be for the light.

So you are saying that I should connect all the black wires together and all the white wires together? Then cut all the other color wires? This will isolate the black box with the blue, yellow and grey wires. There will still be a black and white wire into the forward/reverse fan selector so that should work??

What do I with the blue and yellow wires on the 4 wire fan pull chain switch?

I just want to make sure that I have it right before I start cutting wires.

Thanks

Jan 6, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mndayoh
    i dont know but did you wire the dimmer to the fan and not the lights by mistake thats what it sounds like to me
    I don't think so. All I did was cut and re-connect the black wires and the white wires so it should not have made any difference.
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 06:43 PM
    You don't need to cut any wires. The receiver I am referring to should be in the ceiling canopy, not at the bottom of the fan where the pullchains are.

Jan 9, 2008, 01:19 PM
    So you have to drop the whole fan to get to it?

Any way to access it with out dropping the whole fan?
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 02:30 PM
    You can try just dropping the canopy, but you will probably need to drop the fan.

Jan 15, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Update- Had to drop the whole fan. Replaced the receiver. Both fan and light work now off the remote.

ceilingfanrepair - Thanks for your help!
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 08:55 PM
    You're welcome.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan - Light Comes On By Itself [ 15 Answers ]

Just installed a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with the remote control for the fan and the light. Old house and I it's my first time installing a fan. Pretty proud and works pretty well. O.K. just a little wobble. After a while of operation, the light comes on without anyone touching the remote. ...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Light [ 1 Answers ]

Ceiling Fan 52" Tahiti Breeze Model 344470 Hampton Bay The ceiling light has been install for about 1 1/2 yrs. (light not installed), I'm using an Universal remote Control Harbor Breeze 43147. Q. The switch plate has two switches one for the hall light and the other for the ceiling fan, the...

Hampton bay ceiling fan with light [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get the globe off the ceiling fan to change the lightbulb? It does not seem to unscrew from the bottom.

Hampton ceiling fan light problem [ 3 Answers ]

We have a hampton ceiling fan with a hand held remote, I just went out and bought a light kit for then fan. I hooked it up black to black white to white very easy. The problem I'm having is, The fan and light is powered on by 1 switch on the wall, I turn the switch on and can work the light...

Hampton Bay ceiling fan/light [ 3 Answers ]

I had to take the fan/light down and in doing so don't remember wiring senario that makes the wall switch work the light portion. There are 4 wires coming down from the ceiling of which 2 are still connected. The wiring for the light is still in tact and marked, neutral, light etc. What wires do I...

View more questions Search