Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thinketh Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 04:31 PM
    H1B, Non-resident spouse overseas, Filing Status
    Hi,

I have been working in the US on H1B since Aug 2006 (more than a year as of date). Last month, in Dec 2007, I returned to my home country to get married. Subsequently, I came back to US to continue working, while my spouse still remains in the home country as she needs to work. We have plans for her to apply H4 to join me later this year in 2008.

Should I fill jointly or separately for 2007 taxes?

If I fill separately, does my spouse need to fill at all since she is not in US and does not have any US-based income? Also, 1040 asks for spouse's ssn if filing separately, but she does not have one. How do I indicate that my spouse does not need to fill?

If I fill jointly, is my spouse a resident or alien, and will her foreign income be taxable? What are some of the forms I should be looking into?

Thank you very much for all your help!

Regards,
    thinketh
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 11:04 PM
    If you were married in 2007, you can file jointly with your wife even though she is not in the U.S.

As to whether you SHOULD file jointly depends on the circumstances of your case.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 10:37 PM
    thinketh is resident for tax purpose. He will file Form 1040 only as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.

When he files jointly, his spouce will also be treated as resident for tax purpose. On joint return the standard deduction is $10,700 and two exemptions of total $6,800. But they must declare worldwide income, even from India. If thinketh's spouce has wages in India, she can file Form 2555 to exclude foreign income up to $85,700. For this thinketh needs ITIN for his spouce. They will need to attach form W7 with the return.

If thinketh files separately, he gets standard deduction of $5,350 and exemption of $3,400. He will declare only his own worldwide income.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Agreed!

Jan 11, 2008, 02:59 PM
    MukatA, AtlantaTaxExpert, thanks for your help.

If I choose to file separately:
    1. Do I still need to apply for ITIN for my spouse? Do I need to fill in the spouse SSN box?
    2. Does my spouse need to file taxes in this case?
    3. Can I check box 6b to claim an exemption for my spouse?
    Visa Taxes Expert Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 03:00 PM
    I agree with MukatA

Jan 11, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Yes, I agree too, but my latest question on filing separately is still unanswered:

If I choose to file separately:
    1. Do I still need to apply for ITIN for my spouse? Do I need to fill in the spouse SSN box?
    2. Does my spouse need to file taxes in this case?
    3. Can I check box 6b to claim an exemption for my spouse?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 09:44 PM
    1) Yes, you need the ITIN, because you CAN claim your wife as a dependent if you file separately.

2) No.

3) No, you must list her as a dependent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1b filing 2007 ITR with H4 spouse working overseas [ 9 Answers ]

Hi. I have some questions and hope you could give me an advice. I'm a Filipino citizen, H1b holder, arrived in the US on June 2007 together with my spouse (H4) and 2 toddlers (H4). After I received my SSN, I started working in the US by last week of July 2007. I have no job in the Philippines...

2007 Tax Filing Status with Non-Resident Spouse [ 7 Answers ]

I was recently married (Oct. 21, 2007) to a UK resident. We filed our immigration paperwork with the INS at the end of November to change my husband's status from "visitor" to "perm. resident" in the US. We got the receipts from the INS and have received his appt for fingerprinting. My...

Tax Return Filing Status - Married H1B with Dependents Overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US on F1 two years ago. I graduated this summer and will start working in August 2007 under H1B. My wife and son spend most of the time back in home country and only come to the US occasionally. (A couple of months per year tops). Is it true that in this case, my US tax return...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

Spouse Resident Status [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a Mexican Citizen currently on OPT, changing status to H1B in October. A while ago you advised me to file as a married resident, so I could be able to take the standard decuction, and my child deduction. I have a couple of questions: 1) I know I can file as resident, since I'll be working...

View more questions Search