Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    am17mu Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 10:46 AM
    How to open a .dat file from Yahoo messenger
    I have this profile saved on my PC, from the Yahoo MSN, which stores all message archives. I want to open this archive, but all these files are in .dat format, which I cannot open. With wordpad, or notepad or MS Word, it appears as some ASCII character :( . Don't know, how to open, so that can read the contents of these files.

The name of the file is like 20070904-am17mu.dat . This got saved from Yahoo msn.

So guys, just help me out. I want to read it.

Thanks
    am17mu
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2008, 10:10 PM
    Most that files are related to programs, some can be read, Google "how to open a .dat file " there will be info there
    am17mu Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Thanks! But I used Google to download one YAhoo Archive Decoder... nd it really works! So got to see the .dat files through it. It just converts a .dat file to an html file. And you can use browser to view it
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 02:21 PM
    You really have to use Google to find your answer of what you can do with file, not the greatest answer, but this is not the first time this has been asked by anyone. Each person has a differenet situtation and all that files are not the same and do not have the same porpose and function
    haiducul2005 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Yahoo Archive Decoder works great. The only thing is that the files has to be where Yahoo save them usually. I tried to open it saved in other place (descktop) and didn't worked. Thanks
    JohnM88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2011, 12:22 PM
    Are you sure its from Yahoo? Take a read of these .dat file instructions ( http://dotwhat.net/dat/5273/ )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yahoo Messenger For Mac 8.1 [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere I can download Yahoo Messenger that will work with Mac 8.1 Thanks

Yahoo messenger [ 3 Answers ]

Hi friends My Yahoo messenger quits unexpecteley, I'm not able to work with that, please help me if anyone knows the solution

About Yahoo messenger [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am asking a question about Yahoo messenger. I installed the Yahoo messenger, invited my friends, when I pop up a friend and when I type to them I can't see it on my window, but they can. What can I do to fix it where I can read all messages on Yahoo messenger?

Yahoo Messenger [ 9 Answers ]

Hello All I downloaded windows xp pro and I signed up on windows live messenger,now when ever I sign into Yahoo messenger I get a annoying message telling me that someone wants to add me to their list.. I tried everything it's a system message on Yahoo how do I disable it from popping up... or...

MSN Messenger OR Yahoo Messenger [ 3 Answers ]

Which do you prefer?

View more questions Search