Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daveb1230 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Gas Furnace will not reach temp
    Temp set to 64. 5 day programmable Honeywell from Home Depot. Had worked fine for over a year.
    Woke up at 50.
    Heat kicks on, got to 54 then shut off.
    I adjusted temp to 74.
    Still went to 54 then shuts off.
    Heater never blows for more than a few minutes.

Decided to go to simple thermostat (round manual Honeywell).
    Manually set to 74.
    Heat went on and got as high as 58-60 but won't stay on any longer.

Family got home from work - house 54.
    Called in gas company.
    They Changed igniter last night. Commented it was dirty.

Read previous postings on this site and saw about changing air filter.
    It was pretty dirty so I did it.

Turned heat on - and the heat came on but is still shutting off well before reaching temps.
    Now weekend - hate to call in pro's but its too cold.
    Are there any other basic things I can try (only a modest DIYer)
    BTW - settings on the thermostat is for gas furnace.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2008, 07:12 AM
    Try running the furnace fan in the "ON" position at the thermostat, then turn the heat up and see what happens, this will tell you if you have a problem with the fan motor or low speed in the motor, post back what happens,Good luck, Mike

Jan 5, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Thanks Mike for quick response.
    Fan went on and blowing. Feels like the air is warm but not as warm as experienced in past. ALthough the duct work has gotten very cold so perhaps there is some lag in how warm it will get.
    Also flow rate seems less. Perhaps my imagination.

After 5 to 10 minutes - I heard the fan kick off but there is some noise in the furnace like it is trying to do something - then the fan kicks on but only stays on for a minute or so.
    Will report back later.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Your fan should be running continuously with the fan switch in the "ON" position , perhaps a bad motor?

Jan 5, 2008, 08:56 AM
    I read in some other session about a possible blockage on some exhaust line? - is there an exhaust trap or other line that might collect condensate and freeze. We have been having temps in the 20's that have iced up or some critter nesting somewhere?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace not reaching target temp [ 12 Answers ]

My furnace never reaches the target temperature on the thermostat. Even if I increase the temp on the thermostat, the temperature is never met. The current temp is set for 74 degrees, it was 62 this morning? The furnace is a Goodman, the thermostat is digital. I just replaced the thermostat...

Furnace not kicking on when temp drops below thermostat set temp [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a Beckett oil heat water on demand furnace that heats through baseboards. Since this past weekend the furnace hasn't been kicking on when the temperature drops below my set temp of 68 degrees. I have to go down to the furnace and simply touch the top of the reset box for it to kick on. ...

Goodman furnace cycles but does not reach set temp [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Goodman 70,000 BTU, up flow gas furnace (GMV950704CXA) with a Honeywell (RTH 7500D) thermostat installed, November 2006. The unit worked fine until outside temperature went into the 20s. Unit fires and goes through normal sequence and runs for approximately 7 minutes, then cycles down...

Furnace won't maintain temp - shuts off [ 5 Answers ]

Furnace problem - Turn temp to 70 Furnace runs until 70 degrees Maintains temperature for awhile - probably for a couple of hours At some point it stops maintaining the temperature and keeps kicking on and off. I've watched the thermostat - I'll actually turn the temp up to try to get it to...

Carier furnace shuts off before reaching temp [ 2 Answers ]

I have a carier weathermaker furnace that shuts off before reaching temp. any idea what could be the problem.

View more questions Search