Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Norm451 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2006, 06:19 PM
    Can't remember the title of this book
    Okay, I'm hoping someone in this extended community may recognize this book I read years ago (early 70's) and foolishly gave away in a move (also many years ago). I would classify it as fantasy but of the alternative world (no elves, etc.) category. It was a long (500+ pages?) big paperback. As I recall, the country in question had mountainous borders to hide behind and had declined the "benefits" of electricity. I think it was set in the early 1800's. The protagonist may have gone there as a consular officer from another country (~England?). The most telling concept I can recall was something about the problem when two people each want the other to be happy and neither expresses his/her true wants -- passing/unmet desires or something like that? With any luck, if you've read this book, you'll recognize it from my very inept description. Even if you only think you might know it, please respond. Whatever clues you have might trigger something else in my memory.
    Thanks, namronv-at-yahoo.com
    Zipper Posts: 116, Reputation: 8

Feb 14, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Could it be "The Difference Engine" by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling ?
    Norm451 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 12:31 PM
    Actually, the book is Islandia by Austin Tappen Wright. I highly recommend it. Namronv
    Zipper Posts: 116, Reputation: 8

Feb 14, 2006, 03:24 PM
    Cool indeed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't remember the title... [ 4 Answers ]

It was a British movie made in the 1950's (I think) in black & white. It had a creepy quality to it involving a group of strangers arriving in a cottage and slowly a feeling of Deja-vu begins to disturb them - coming to a climax after the breaking of a wine glass. It's one of those eternal loop...

Can't remember title of film [ 3 Answers ]

This film was made in the 60's or 70's. It is about a teenager (boy) who ends up on a mountain (can't remember if he ran away/why he is there). Eventually, he builds himself a shelter inside a tree (by carving and burning the insides) and stays there for the winter. One day, he wakes up to find...

Can't remember title... [ 2 Answers ]

I need help finding the title of a book that was read to me a long time ago. I think it was a short chapter book, but it's about this boy who is trying to catch all sorts of birds (I think partridges) and figures out in order to catch them he puts some sort of sleeping medicine in berries and they...

Can't remember title [ 2 Answers ]

Hey! I really need help with this. I remember reading the book in a library when I was nine or ten.. so the book was of the teen variety, I'm guessing. Anyway, it was about two boys, best friends. One lived beside a girl who always tanned in her pool in her bikini... it was their goal that...

Old movie I can't remember the title? [ 1 Answers ]

This was an old Black and White movie Post WWII I think, it may have tried to Build off Bogarts "Sahara". This Black and White movie is set in the desert and a group of people dig up a buried Tank (left over from WWII?) and manage to get it running just in time to use it to fight off an army of...

View more questions Search