Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ggrr87 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 02:28 AM
    Mtg payment pays for previous month?
    A L.O. explained this to a friend of mine..

Question: If my mortgage is due on 1/1/08, does that mean the mortgage is pay for January 2008?

Answer: No, If you mortgage is due on 1/1/08, that means you pay for your 12/2007 mortgage payment (12/01/2007-12/31/2007).

REally? So if this L.O. is my landlord.. can I skip rent? ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 09:22 AM
    There are variouis types of mortgage, some apply payments to previous months but almost all apply to the next coming month.

So this applies to the person who is purchasing and their specific loan document.

So to be sure what is the case for that speicfic properly one has to read the terms of their loan.

But of course if you are a renter, this has no bearing on your relationship to the landlord. In those cases your written or verbal rental agreement applies, rent is normally paid for in advance.
    life1973happened Posts: 322, Reputation: 109
    -

Jan 5, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Fr_Chuck... I couldn't have said it better myself. I guess every once in a while we agree on mortgage do's and do not's...
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jan 5, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Mortgage interest is always paid in arrears, whereas rent is paid in advance. This means that the January mortgage payment pays interest for December, and the January rent payment pays rent for January. The only time that mortgage interest is paid in advance is when you close on a new mortgage. If you close on January 15, the first mortgage payment will be due March 1, and will pay interest for the month of February. At close, the borrower will prepay the interest from January 15 to the end of that month.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Dr D is exactly right. However, as Fr_Chuck stated, that does not give the OP the right to pay rent in arrears merely because the landlord pays the mortgage in arrears. Rent is still required to be paid in advance unless the lease specifically states otherwise.
    ggrr87 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    There are variouis types of mortage, some apply payments to previous months but almost all apply to the next comming month.

So this applies to the person who is purchasing and thier specific loan document.

So to be sure what is the case for that speicfic properly one has to read the terms of thier loan.

But of course if you are a renter, this has no bearing on your relationship to the landlord. in those cases your written or verbal rental agreement applies, rent is normally paid for in advance.
    Interesting..
    So on a traditional 30yr Fixed PITI Refi
    Lender allows me to pay after the month.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payment Plan Mortgage payment behind [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently off work for two months and unable to pay my mortgage payments. My company put me on a payment plan and now they are charging me with other fees that were not told to me. I want to know how can I find out if their practices are legal. Who is the watchdog for these companies. I am...

Can they reposess my car after they agree to payment arrangements and take my payment [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a car in 06 and I have been paying on it every two weeks. I have been a little behind but I still pay or talk to someone about when I will pay... I have never lost communication with these people. I am only one payment and some late charges behind Monday I made a payment on the due date of...

Can a collections agency refuse payment or payment arrangement ? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a hospital bill of $1000 from back in march and it has gone to a collections agency. Now my problem is, my insurance company actually sent me the check to make the payment. They instructed me to put it into my checking account then send a personal check to the creditor. However when I put...

Rent payment when lease goes into different month? [ 8 Answers ]

My lease is up December 10. However we pay rent on the third. If I'm planning on moving by the date my lease is up do I still have to pay rent for December? I don't believe I should have to.

Mortgage payment per month [ 8 Answers ]

I just received 30,000 which I plan to use for a down payment on a house if my credit is average and I plan to spend about 150,000 on a house what am I looking at spending per month on a mortgage payment?

View more questions Search