Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frustratedinflorida Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 10:01 PM
    rights to stay in home
    I live and care for my elderly mother in a home that is owned by my sister. She owns this home because my parents signed it over to her under duress. They did so, over 10 years ago because they were applying for medicare and social security. They were afraid that they would show too many assets and not receive benefits. She took care of the property for a few years until she moved out leaving myself and my mother to care for the home. She paid property taxes and home owners insurance. She started charging me rent. I moved out (bought a home) a short time after. I lived there for 3 years until I lost my job and then my house. I was forced to move back in 2005 for 6 months. I leased an apartment only for (privacy issues). I was here at the house nearly everyday because my mothers mind is not what it used to be. I moved in again permanently 8 months ago. I work a part time job so as not to leave her alone to long. I also have a little help from a neighbor who pops in from time to time to check on my mom. I have cared for the home for all of these years up to now because she has never hired anyone for any maintenance of any kind. I do it all. I do the yard work. Call friends or family members that have business such as a/c companies, plumbers... etc. I receive all of my personal mail here and have had since 2005. I recently;y had a falling out with my sister because she wanted to throw my mom out and sell the house. My father has since passed away but my mother and sister made a verbal agreement many years ago that if the house had to be sold at some point that she would be given a little less than half of the value of the selling price. She will not sign anything stating this. Because of the falling out she asked me to pay her rent while I lived there caring for my mother. So as not to start any family wars, I did so, but there was no rental agreement signed. I no longer can afford to pay her and she wants to throw me out. My mother cannot stay alone and won't stay with anyone but me. Can she do this? V Is this house legally hers?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedinflorida
    Can she do this? v Is this house legally hers??
    Hello f:

Yup. It's HER house.

By the way, your parents wouldn't have lost ANY benefits even if they kept the house. SS and medicare are paid regardless of how much money you have. A little due dilligence 10 years ago would have saved you lots of heartache.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How old is old enough to stay home alone? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a question regarding my 7 year old son (1st grader)... occasionally my husband picks him up after school and then leaves him home alone for a couple of hours so he can go back to work to finish a job. He is a business owner and sometimes it's crucial he gets back to finish something. He...

At home job so I can stay with my baby. [ 5 Answers ]

I wan to start or have an at home job so that I can stay at home with my baby. I do not want to put her in daycare (there are some weirdos out there) so I want an at home job to get some more money coming in. My boyfriend has a job, but the bills are quite tight. I don't want anything big. Just...

Stay at home mom blues [ 6 Answers ]

These comments are directed to the men out there. I made sure I put on some Kevlar and my flack jacket since I know women out there are not going to like what I am saying. I have a few marital issues and I'm not quite sure how to address them... My wife is currently a stay at home mom and has...

Stay at home mom's [ 7 Answers ]

I am in need of the REAL value of a stay at home mom. I have checked out sites for Nannies, and house keepers, and I am getting some ideas. But, I am really needing to know, when my fiancé throws in my face that he pays all the bills, do I have any right to throw back of the cost that I am...

FiancŽ wants me to stay home [ 11 Answers ]

I have a son still at home and I am raising my grandson who is 3. I am marrying a man who has never married and has no children. He feels the children really need me to stay home. To be perfectly honest, I really want to stay home too. The problem is I don't feel right having him be our only...

View more questions Search