Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    capskitz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2006, 03:11 PM
    Buying new wireless security system
    I just purchased a really nice wireless surveillance system from www.jetstreamsecurity.com and was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any flaws in owning a wireless surveillance systems? Can they be hacked into with by a neighbor, or can they be tapped into with other hardware. I just started to wonder these things after I purchased them. Thanks for any input, and HAPPY NEW YEAR..!
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2006, 10:15 PM
    In my previous job I installed security systems. The wireless systems are great for installation in existing buildings. As far as hacking, what part of the system are you asking about? Is this an X 10 system which relies on house codes?
    Let me know
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2006, 04:07 AM
    Any system wire or wireless can be "hacked" or gotten around. The more safe guards you have in your system, they harder it will be.

Wireless transmitters send out a signal, anyone that can find that signal freq can of course also view what is being sent out if the wish. And could send out a stronger signal to "jam" the other.

But of course a wired system can be taped into also. Security systems only keep the real honest people out, the very bad guys can get around any system if they want to bad enoug
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 12, 2007, 03:47 PM
    If the cameras are wireless and on network. Wireless may be received with video receiver.
    If you wire camera and network, you can eleminate neighbors and amateurs.
    Wireless network camera more difficult than rf.
    I have wired for military and government. I strive to "Keep Dishonest People Honest"
    Redundancy is key and cost is a factor.
    Most people won't install effective system, They want $99.00 or free system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless and non wireless connections [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I have a laptop from my employer to use at home and at work. At work it is networked via a wireless connection and broadband Internet access is via this network. I took it home and set up the connection to work with my own ISP (NTL) and that worked fine. The problem comes when I take it...

Wireless Security [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently installed a Linksys WRT54GX2 router. Connected to two (2) PCs running Windows XP SP2 and one (1) running Windows 2000. I have set up MAC filtering but nothing in addition. I have read where Windows 2000 is not compatible with WPA. Do I just set-up with WEP and MAC filtering...

Wireless network security [ 4 Answers ]

I have just gotten a router and set up a wireless net environment in my home. As I live in an apartment, I think it can be easily picked up by anyone. Therefore, I was wondering if there was any way or program I could use to make it secure. Also, I rather not use the WEP provided because it...

Downloading Security On A New System [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently purchased new gateway computer. It came loaded with McAfee internet security and Mcafee spyware. It also came with Nortin internet security 2005, webroot spy sweeper, webroot window washer, pre-empt and ghost surf 2005. When I tried to load these in I had an internet connection...

Removing old security system [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved into a house with a malfunctioning security system that I'd like to have taken out. I can't get in touch with the company that installed it, and the electricians I call say they won't touch it. What type of contractor would handle something like this? Thanks, Radley

View more questions Search