Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chiwong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 02:40 PM
    OPT on the job leaving the position back to Home
    Hello, I'd graduated in Dec 2006 as an international student from Hong Kong and had been working on OPT since Jan 2007. I'm leaving my position today and the country on Sunday. I'm pretty sure I have to file a 2007 tax return to comply with the laws. However, how should I do so while I don't have a US address no more (but an active bank account)? And which form(s) should I file?

I would really appreciate for anyone who may be able to answer my questions.
    Thanks a lot! Best of luck to everyone in 2008!

Tommy:)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Tommy:

I can help you file the return from Hong Kong. I did several tax returns last year for residents of India, Taiwan, Japan and Thailand.

I see no reason why hong Kong would be any harder.

Contact me via email if you want my professional help!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 02:40 AM
    Most probably you will file as non-resident. I also assume you did not pay FICA taxes on your OPT income.
    Hongkong has no tax treaty with the U.S. So you will only get exemption deduction of $3,400 plus your itemized deductions. So it appears you will owe tax in the U.S. and should not avoid filing of the taxes.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 08:27 AM
    MukatA's point about owing taxes is most important. If you neglect this, the IRS will eventually figure it out and come after you with the help of the Hong Kong government under a reciprocity agreement that the U.S. with virtually every country in the world.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaving home [ 1 Answers ]

In england how old do you have to be until u can leave home :(

Leaving Home [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had to have my 20-year old son get his own apt. I needed to open up a room for his older brother who was coming home from prison and had to stay with me. It is myself, my fiancé and 14-year old who live there and now my older son. But my 20-year old is angry about having to move. For...

Taking back taxes when leaving USA. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am here in the USA for three months only and I bought a laptop. I understood that when I leave I may have the tax that I paid for that laptop back. I live in California now if that is important. Is that true and if yes how can I do that? Thank you! Anton

Leaving puppy home alone problem! [ 2 Answers ]

Well, so far my puppy has had no more accidents in the house, and sleeps in a crate at night now. When I say "Time for bed, go lay down, go to sleep" she automatically goes into her crate on her own and lays down and goes right to bed, and usually doesn't wake up to go outside until morning. She...

Leaving puppy at home alone [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new Chihuahua puppy who is only 5 1/2 weeks old. How do I leave him alone for a few hours while I am working or running errands? I have read to only leave a puppy alone for an hour or two at a time, but I have to be gone for longer periods sometimes. I take him to work with me right now...

View more questions Search