Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    igottogonow Posts: 128, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2008, 01:19 PM
    HotWater Heater
    I have this hotwater heater that has a mind of it's own. Some mornings I have plenty of hotwater and others I have just warm water. I have checked the element and they check good. I have not been using hotwater anywhere else on the mornings that the water is warm like clothes or dishwasher. The thermostats are set on 140. Anyone have an idea what's wrong?? :confused:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Did you inspect the contacts on the thermostats for pitting?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Check all the connections you can get at. Post back if you don't find a problem.
    limepluta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by igottogonow
    I have this hotwater heater that has a mind of it's own. Some mornings I have plenty of hotwater and others I have just warm water. I have checked the element and they check good. I have not been using hotwater anywhere else on the mornings that the water is warm like clothes or dishwasher. The thermostats are set on 140. Anyone have an idea whats wrong????:confused:
    You may want to put a timer on it because when it not hot it's been cooling of then when it gets to that temp it'll turn on to heat it up. Good luck
    billu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Hot water is driping
    billu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 06:39 PM
    I have 4 years hot water suddenly started driping pleasehelp me
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Where is it dripping, out the valve on the side?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 08:55 PM
    MODERATORS: This thread needs to be separated.

Jan 5, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Did you inspect the contacts on the thermostats for pitting?
    Yes and they looked OK. I may just replace the thermostats. A cold shower is a shocker.

Jan 12, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by igottogonow
    I have this hotwater heater that has a mind of it's own. Some mornings I have plenty of hotwater and others I have just warm water. I have checked the element and they check good. I have not been using hotwater anywhere else on the mornings that the water is warm like clothes or dishwasher. The thermostats are set on 140. Anyone have an idea whats wrong????:confused:
    The way the thermostat looks when you set the temperature unless you really look at it, it looks like you turn it counterclock wise instead of clockwise. Temp settings are A, B, C and it shows HOT at the top not sure why this causes you to think you should go this direction. Make sense?
    Frdbrkl Posts: 94, Reputation: 7

Jan 12, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by billu
    hot water is driping
    Bill, please post your questions in a new thread next visit so your question doesn't get buried in the mix.

Regarding the dripping-where is it dripping from? If it's from the pipe on the side, the Temperature/Pressure relief valve may be weak and need replacing (Watts XL100 most likely). THIS COULD ALSO BE DUE TO GAS VALVE NOT CLOSING AND WATER OVERHEATING so please be careful.

The pressure relief valve on the side of the tank simply screws out, but remember there's water inside that tank-so turn off the water to the tank, relieve the pressure before unscrewing. You can change it by "hotswapping" but that means you'll need to shut off all water to tank, shut off all faucets (and keep them off for the duration of the replacement), and have the new one next to you and ready to go.

Once you've shut down the water and relieved the pressure (open 1 hot side of faucet until water stops, then close faucet), simply remove the drain pipe with a wrench, then remove the T&P valve itself. When you get close to the end of the threads (you'll see/feel it), have the new valve in hand and quickly swap them. You may lose a little water (a pint to a quart to 100 gallons, depending on how quick/slow you are) but a couple of handiwipes will clean it up. Tighten it down SECURELY, and re-install drain pipe (This is important!). Restore water, and bleed air out of faucets.

If it continues to "weep" or drip after this-contact a plumber as there's nothing else you personally can do outside of replacing the water heater.

Good Luck, and I hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hotwater heater [ 3 Answers ]

Hot water heater want ignite. What could be the problem? Pilot light is on but no ignition.

Hotwater heater HELP! Fast please [ 2 Answers ]

We have well water, today we lost all the pressure and we got no water. We would just turn the handle on in the kitchen or bathroom and nothing would happen. Well he wife had her dad come over to fix it, I don't know what he did but after he left we had water. Now, later on in the night I get ready...

Hotwater heater [ 2 Answers ]

Water comes out of my over flow copper tube. What do I need to do to fix it?

Hotwater heater [ 1 Answers ]

Why is my 1yr old hotwater tank making a howling nosie 3 to 4 times a day.

View more questions Search