Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cajunlady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Ex will not take her belongings
    I ended my 1 1/2 year relationship at end of November. My ex and I had been living together for 1 year. She has yet to move any of her belongings (t.v's, beds, sofas, clothes etc.) or take her 2 dogs and rabbit. Says she "can't find a suitable place to live" and doesn't want to have to "move her things twice" by storing them somewhere. I need to put closure to this and get my life back. How long is reasonable to give her to move her things? I'm taking care of her animals and collecting her mail for her, as well as housing her belongings. I want my house back and I need to be able to start replacing my items that were given away (sofa, bed, t.v.) because they '''weren't as good" as hers. I don't want to be insensitive but I need to take care of me too. Please advise.

Baton Rouge
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Sounds like she may be depressed; does she have any family nearby? You need to be reasonable and prudent with her belongings because you could be civilly liable for any damages to them. So do not set them on the street. One thing that comes to mind is you could rent a storage unit and put the things there for 30 days, and just not pay any more rent. Perhaps she will go with you and be a co-tenant; that way, she is responsible for her own things.
    lavenderly Posts: 88, Reputation: 23

Jan 4, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Tell her exactly what u wrote here:
    I want my house back and I need to be able to start replacing my items that were given away (sofa, bed, t.v.) because they '''weren't as good" as hers. I don't want to be insensitive but I need to take care of me too.
    U need to be frank with her. She may be depressed. She might not want to let go. Or perhaps she just wants to teach u a lesson for dumping her. Anyhow, by being subtle, u can never get the message across.

Let it out, man!
    EuRa Posts: 315, Reputation: 64

Jan 4, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Is she upset about the relationship? I bet she thinks that by moving her stuff out... the relationship is over. So if she can keep it there, then she still has a chance.

I agree with the guy above me, move them into a storage unit. As far as her pets... does she have family in the area? That would be my first choice. The other could be to call her, and tell her to take the pets or else you will give them to the humane society. She might call your bluff, but when you do it, at least she will have had a warning.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 4, 2008, 01:07 PM
    Talk with her and tell her exactly what you typed in your post. Pick a reasonable date for her to remove her items. If they are still there by the time the date rolls around, call and talk to her and give her a 2 week warning or something like that. Let her know that if she doesn't get the items by then, you will put them in storage and she will be responsible for them.

As far as the pets, see if you can get a friend or family member of hers to take them. If nothing else, just drop them off to her. Of course, give her advanced warning and all. But maybe picking a date for everything to be out of your house will make it hit home to her that the relationship is over, she is single, and responsible for her own stuff. Good luck!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 01:56 PM
    After a 30 day notice, they become abandoned, and you can get rid of them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Son evicted? And not able to get his belongings. [ 6 Answers ]

To start we live in pa, anyway... My fiancée (20yrs) was kicked out. Some of the bills are or were in his name and this parents are moving and were planning to let him take on their rent to own agreement. They did not give him notice. Well when he want back for his things, his parents won't...

Removing a 21 yr old daughter`s belongings from the property.she is out of here [ 4 Answers ]

We have a 21 yr old that has moved out and changed her addy.. but when asked to remove her belongings, says I will in a week... lol when that weeks up... I will in a week... this has been going on since August! We have given her written notice we will start charging storage fees etc. says she...

Belongings left behind after termination of lease [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in PA. We have a tenant who requested to terminate her lease, and we accepted her request. We were receiving a Section 8 voucher, but she had not paid her portion of the rent for two months. In my letter accepting her terminating the lease, we told her to be out by November 30. She has...

Question about Belongings... [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a 6-month lease on January 1, 2006. The person I was rooming with had lived in the house already for a year. He had the only copy of the lease. When I paid rent, I gave him cash (I did not get receipts because he was a friend) and bills were the same way. After the lease was to be up on...

How long does ex have to remove belongings? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, My ex abandoned me 2 1/2 years of marriage in April 2004. I divorced her (NYS final decree in September 2005). The house was mine before the marriage and is 100% mine after the marriage. She left 2 1/2 rooms of her furniture and belongings in my house. She refuses to remove them...

View more questions Search