Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Neelie Posts: 512, Reputation: 39

Jan 4, 2008, 02:12 AM
    Pastry dough
    The ingredients for this recipe include 3/4 stick of butter. Is a stick of butter same as a pack of butter i.e.. weighing 8oz? Another ingredient is 1/4 cups of all purpose flour, that doesn't seem much, can anyone tell me what that would weigh please?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 03:05 AM
    Don't know what you're making but this seems like a good recipe

Pizza Dough - Basic Dough For Pizza Or French Bread Recipe

Hope this helps -- please rate my answer
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 03:27 AM
    A stick of butter is 4 ounces, a quarter of a pound, approximately 125 grams.

*Edit* if you want my own personal doh recipe gimme a shout its one of the ones that's been passed down but its for a thin base.

Handy kitchen weight conversions, by commodity, Imperial, Metric and American cups you might also find that helpful although I hate seeing just links posted its very unpersonal.

Jan 4, 2008, 03:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    A stick of butter is 4 ounces, a quarter of a pound, approximately 125 grams.

*Edit* if you want my own personal doh recipe gimme a shout its one of the ones thats been passed down but its for a thin base.

Handy kitchen weight conversions, by commodity, Imperial, Metric and American cups you might also find that helpfull although i hate seeing just links posted its very unpersonal.
    Thanks, I would love your doh recipe, since moving here and packing in full time work I have more time to cook, and I love trying new stuff. Your thread about sharing recipes is great :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Neelie
    Thanks, I would love your doh recipe, since moving here and packing in full time work I have more time to cook, and I love trying new stuff. Your thread about sharing recipes is great :)
    Here you go,

8 oz of self raising flour
    2 oz marg/butter
    4 tbl spoons of Milk
    4 tbl spoons of water
    And a pinch of salt. This will make two pizzas

I top with pasata because chopped tomatoes are just to watery and the base is only thin and tends to go soggy otherwise.
    Just turn the oven up high and wack um in they normally take about 10-14 minnutes just keep an eye when the edges of brown the rest is normally done. I also make sure I use pre cooked toppings or it doesn't cook in time with the base.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Are you trying to covert an American recipe to British? I sympathize with you. I worked for a British couple once and she asked me to throw together a dish that she had the recipe for. All the measurements were in ounces and I was completely lost.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    Are you trying to covert an American recipe to British? I sympathize with you. I worked for a British couple once and she asked me to throw together a dish that she had the recipe for. All the measurements were in ounces and I was completely lost.
    Hehehehehe its easier than you think them for us to do it that way round wouldn't want to do it english to american though don't envy you that one.
    There are loads of sites out there with the weights and measures re done just takes some research I buy a lot of american cake mixes from the american groccery store here so I end up translating all the bits that need going in.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 07:47 AM
    I have a recipe of my grandmother's that starts out:

"Take a goodly amount of flour, throw in some salt and enough soda and add milk 'til it looks right..."

I keep it for sentimental reasons.

Jan 4, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    Here you go,

8 oz of self raising flour
    2 oz marg/butter
    4 tbl spoons of Milk
    4 tbl spoons of water
    and a pinch of salt. this will make two pizzas

I top with pasata because chopped tomatoes are just to watery and the base is only thin and tends to go soggy otherwise.
    just turn the oven up high and wack um in they normally take about 10-14 minnutes just keep an eye when the edges of brown the rest is normally done. I also make sure i use pre cooked toppings or it doesnt cook in time with the base.
    Thank you! That Handy Kitchen Weight Converter is exactly what I need.

Jan 4, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    Yes, I love the recipes but have been struggling with the measurements, should be easier now that I have the Handy Weight Converter... Thanks to CurlyBen's wife :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you make dough [ 3 Answers ]

How do u make dough

How to go about opening a coffee/pastry shop [ 2 Answers ]

I have been pondering the thought for some time on opening a coffee shop that would serve pastry and sandwiches on a small scale. It would be in the historic area of Virginia City, NV. What is my first step? Thanks Linda

Scented Dough [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Crafters, A long time ago I had this recipe for an aromatic dough made with spices like cinammon, ground cloves, etc. It was like a cookie dough that I would knead, open, cut out with cookie cutters and bake it. So then I could have these lovely scented shapes to hang everywhere. ...

Baking with whole-wheat pastry flourl [ 1 Answers ]

I read in a Health Magazine that you can replace the white flour with whole wheat pastry flour in most baking recipies, I have tried some cookies and both batches came out very flat, do I need to add baking powder or gluten? What am I doing wrong? ::)

View more questions Search