Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fritzycaptain Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 09:04 PM
    1941 Original Photograph
    My mom was friends with a newspaper reporter in NYC in the early 40's. He sent her a few photo's he took of famous people. They have a slip in the back with a plate number and description, but, caption line is empty. She thought they were ones that did't make it to the paper. I'm wondering if I could reproduce these to be sold, or would there be copyright issues? This reporter is no longer living. Any help will be appreciated.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:41 PM
    My guess is if you give him credit for being the photographer it would be okay.
    Maybe you could do a biography type book about him and his photography if you can find enough about him. Does he have family that you could check with to make sure they won't
    Disapprove of you using the pics for some reason?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 10:40 PM
    This seems to be a murky issue here. I agree that you need to be checking with his family if you are going to be using any of his photography to make a profit. Also, if any of the famous people are still living, using photographs of them to make a profit might also be an issue. It's also possible that whoever he worked for in order to take the photographs might also hold a copyright on them. So, you might want to check with the newspaper he worked for to see if they would still have a copyright holding on the photographs. Best to be playing it safe here by covering all of the bases.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Right of Landlord to photograph Tenant's apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, My landlord has informed me, in writing, that a professional photographer will be photographing my apartment for use on the landlord's website. He did not ask for permission to photograph my possessions I was just told to make my apartment available. Must I allow the photography to take...

What an amazing photograph! [ 8 Answers ]

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/inside-an-elephants-womb/2006/11/24/1163871581868.html Not sure if anyone has seen this but I just thought it was a brilliant image!

How can I photograph something seen with a black light? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a landlord & rented 1 1/2 years ago to someone who wanted to get a dog. There was newer carpet in there, and never another pet. I told them that they would lose some of the deposit if the pet damaged it by urinating on the new carpet. They have moved out and I used a blacklight to look for...

Well this is original. [ 12 Answers ]

I'm 16, and dated this girl who was 18 for 4 months. We had a great relationship, and things seamed to be going perfectly until one day I get a text message saying she would call me when she got out of work. She apparently needed sometime to think, and the next day she just decided to break up with...

View more questions Search