Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TMNewman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 04:16 PM
    Holding a Payroll check after depositing it
    Is it against the law for a bank to hold a persons payroll check for verification after depositing it?

I am having trouble with my bank only making $100 available when I deposit my payroll check. Which this makes it possible for them to say that my bank account go negative and for them to charge me the overdraft fees. Is it leagal for them to do this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 04:59 PM
    No it is not against the law at all, it can be held if first the bank does not know the ocmpany, and 2. if the bank has had a problem with that company check.

If you do not like the policy of that bank, you need to shop around for another bank.

Next you are not suppose to write checks on money until it is cleared, some banks will hold checks for a week at times, You need to stop writing checks until the money is cleared into the account and you won't have any over draft charges

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depositing color on to bleached hair [ 2 Answers ]

I got my hair bleached to a very light blonde shade about 4 weeks ago, I really thought it was too light from the beginning, but now even more I am not happy with it. I would like to go to a brown or a red shade. Is it OK for me to use a hair color to achieve this. My hair is short in in fairy good...

The guy holding my hand and the guy holding my heart aren't the same? [ 10 Answers ]

I really like my ex still and I have a new boyfriend and he's so sweet and all, but I'm still just so in love with my ex and it makes me feel bad for my new boyfriend.. I mean I told my ex that I still like him and everything but the thing is is that he has a new girlfriend and so yeah I can't...

Depositing Lump sums of money [ 2 Answers ]

In The event of a wind fall of money, say 10 or 11 million or more, what is the best way to deposite an amount like that? Knowing that regular banks only insure for the 100,000, and I believe another 100,000 if married, what is a course of action.

How to do you.S. Tax filling, I am holding H1, my wife and son are holding H4 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am holding H-1B, my wife and son are holding H4. I was here in US for 2 times in 2006, June 7 days and December 14 days, my wife and son came here in December and stayed with me till last week of Jan'07. I want to file my returns for 2006. I am still working here on h-1B. My family will...

Payroll and payroll taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm completing a project for a high school accounting class. I need to know how to journalize the payment of payroll. I also need to know how to journalize the payment of the payroll taxes.

View more questions Search