Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c5feverny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 03:28 PM
    200 A Main panel to 100 A sub panel
    I'm planning to upgrade my existing 100 A 20 slot main panel to a 200 A 40/40 panel with a new 200 A service. Is it possible to install the 200 A panel next to the 100 A panel and feed the 100 A panel from the new 200 A panel. I was considering doing this to avoid having to redo and possibly extend the existing wiring already in the 100 A panel.
    This would also allow me to run the new service cable, meter box, and panel without having to shut power off to the house. Then after it is all inspected I can have the power company disconnect the old service and connect the new service after the two panels were connected together.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Yes, no problem. Just need to be sure to run a insulated neutral to the insulated neutral bar, do not bond to the metal can, and run an #8 equipment ground, can be bare or green, to a separate equipment ground bar in the 100 amp panel.

Excellent idea, working on new keeping the old in use. Does not happen too often. That is done whenever possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting a sub panel and main panel [ 2 Answers ]

When adding a sub panel to the main electrical panel, does the neutral bus at the bottom of the main panel have to be removed? If not, are there any specific examples you can offer? Or, should the neutral bus bar be removed at all times? Thanks & happy holidays, Mike

Breaker size in main panel to support sub panel? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring a sub-panel to the outside of my home (50 feet from main 200 amp box). I ran 3 wire - 6 gauge. What is the largest 2 pole breaker I can put in the main panel to supply the sub-panel. TYPE NM-B 6-3 WITH GROUND 600 VOLTS CIRTEX-I EZ-STRIP (R) PLUS 17:11 2/5/07 SB/RC ...

Connecting main panel to sub-panel? [ 1 Answers ]

I have my sub-panel for my workshop all set up, plugs & lites all wired in. The workshop isn't attached to the house & I was wondering what the best way was to connect from the main panel in the house to the sub-panel in the workshop?

Main panel and sub panel breakers [ 1 Answers ]

I inspected a sub panel fed with a number 4 copper cable. The main panel breaker was a 90 amp breaker, but the sub panel breaker was a 100 amp breaker. Is this OK?

Main Circuit Panel to Branch Panel? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello experts, OK... My Main Load center in my home has a branch circuit connected to a 60 amp breaker. The branch feed wire is a 4awg copper wire. The branch panel is downstairs and it has a 100amp main cutoff breaker installed in it. It feeds the whole downstairs including... (1)...

View more questions Search