Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Labor Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Hot water heater wiring
    My question concerns the installation of a 40 gallon electric hot water heater. It will have 2 elements (upper and lower), each of which carries a load of 4500 watts. I believe it requires 240 hookup. I plan on hardwiring it (no plug), but I need to know what wire size and breaker size to use. Right now, my tentative plan is to use #10/2 with ground, with a 30 amp double pole breaker. Can someone confirm if that is appropriate and, more importantly, safe? Based on previous posts, I do not believe that the upper and lower heating elements of a hot water heater run simultaneously (thus requiring a total load of 9000 watts), but I'm not sure. Obviously, 9000 watts will require a larger conductor and breaker.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Here is an excellent resource on water heaters: Both electric and gas

http://www.hotwater.com/lit/training/tc049r2.pdf

Aparently some water heaters can use both elements at the same time and it's not common.

Also this resource states that the breaker should be 125% of the nameplate rating.
    dkh96819 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 02:23 AM
    Comment on KISS's post
    The link provided in the answer is from one of the oldest water heating companies in the business. It is an excellent reference.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Apr 17, 2008, 09:33 PM
    That would be correct and would meet NEC requirements. I would, if I were you and have no experience doing this kind of worh (anything electric is hazardous to work on) , hire an electrician or qualified plumber to do this job for you.Remember, electricity and water do not mix!!
    PS: not to be a nit-picker but,, it is not a "hot" water heater... it is a water heater. Why would you need a hot water heater?? The water would already be hot!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring electric hot water heater [ 4 Answers ]

I am converting from gas hot h20 heater to electric, I need a wiring diagram in order to wire the electric heater into the breaker box.

Water Heater; Breaker Wiring? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I'm installing a new electric water heater. All plumbed and wired to the heater. Just picked up a new 30amp breaker, ready to put in the panel. 10/2 wire…At the tank; red to white, black to black, green grounded. My question is about wires to the breaker? Green is easy that’s the...

Wiring water heater switch [ 8 Answers ]

I want to replace my water heater switch with a timer. I need to identify which live wire comes from the mains and which leads to the heater. I unscrewed the switch from the wall to test both wires with a test-pen. With the switch at ON position - the pen lit up each time as expected. Then with...

Wiring a hot water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I am wanting to wire a new hot water heater that is 220. Do you have a diagram of a subpanel that I could use? What do I look for on the subpanel, what wire do I use, and how does this wiring differ from 110? LK

Tankless water heater wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Join Date: Oct 2006 Posts: 3 Seisco water heater install -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a question for both an HVAC installer and an electrician.

View more questions Search