Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

View Poll Results: Should people post in forums they know little about if others with good backgrounds a

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

1 10.00%
  • Yes, they are only wanting to help and if their answer is wrong, others can correct it.

3 30.00%
  • Only when it is a special area they do have some actual experience.

6 60.00%
  • What does a few bad answers hurt?

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2006, 12:33 PM
    Happens all over the net, especially on forums like this.
    I've just got used to it and laugh it off, otherwise you'll end up in the funny farm ;)
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2006, 12:44 PM
    K thanks guys LOL :p
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2006, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    This might be slightly off the topic, but what annoys me is when I give a thorough answer to a question, and then a while later (not simultaneously), someone else gives an almost identical answer, without commenting that they agree with me or even acknowledging that I've posted. Is it that they don't see my reply for some reason? Because it almost seems like copying... this has happened to me quite a few times.
    Yes, there are a couple of people very much like that here. They are more interested in their rep (point totals) then they are in helping. I always review all previous answers to a question. If I feel the question has already been answered, then I skip it. I would have to be able to add something substantitive to the previous answers for me to add a post.

That being said, there are some questions where the force of opinion does matter. So it does make sense for people to add their 2 cents to increase the numbers. However, the Rating system does allow people to do that.

As for plagiarism, with technical questions especially, there isn't always a lot of different ways to answer. So unless the person does a copy and paste job (as has happened to me), I would say it was plagiarism. But its certainly not a practice I condone. As I said, I would not add my 2 cents unless I can contribute something that adds to the previous replies.

On the other hand, people can usually see when someone is doing this. I've received feedback about one of the prime offenders showing that people recognize the pattern very quickly. They really don't fool people and generally damage their own reps by their actions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Peel and stick vinyl tiles [ 4 Answers ]

Looking to use these in my kitchen because I can't get the same pattern on a roll of vinyl.Now I have never used these before and have a couple questions.I know they come with glue on the backs but how good is it.Does it hold for a short time but then they come loose.See wondering if I should add...

Australian Stick Bug [ 4 Answers ]

I just received an Australian Stick Bug as a gift, and I have no idea what to do with it. It is in a vented plastic cage with a flip top lid, some fake ivy in it, and a small water dish. I was told to feed it greens. I don't know what kind, or if the wrong kind would be bad for it. Can someone...

Stick Arena Cheats? [ 9 Answers ]

I've been searching for games and found this one. I've played and seen many cheats. How do they die and get a wep automatically when they revive? How do they go through walls? How they go real fast?

Peel and stick [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to put peel and stick on an already tiled floor. The tiling was well done so I don't want to tear it up. It's just ugly for my taste. How can I pull this off?

Hello people [ 1 Answers ]

Does any body here know how to reformat a PC?

View more questions Search