Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karen85 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2005, 10:35 AM
    Charity contribution
    I have learn so much by reading post here.
    I gave charity contrybutin to my church every year.
    I would like to know how is it firgure(formula)
    How much is allowed each year.
    Does it affect how much I pay in taxes and what is the cutoff where it does not matter how much I gave.
    Thank,I encourage your views
    Karen
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 31, 2005, 10:46 AM
    Karen:

You can give as much as your heart desires.

However, you can, in any given year, only deduct the amount equal to one-half of your Adjusted Gross Income. Anything in excess of that amount is carried over to successive years to be deducted on future returns.

I have a client (a nurse) whose ex-husband was a building contractor. Using her capital, they developed a subdivision of homes and did very well. When they divorced, she donated a large portion of the unsold houses to a local Methodist university. I expect she will be deducting that particular charitable donation for next 10-15 years.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2005, 09:20 PM
    Donation
    But is there not also "red flags" so to speak, if we donate further than a certain percentage of our income, does that not increase the odds of an aduit.

I have been told that in the past.

Also if they need to give any more houses away, our church can use all the donations we can get
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 2, 2006, 10:57 AM
    Fr Chuck:

There are no "red flags" per se, but the IRS does maintain demographic data which indicates what the "average" donation per capita.

These averages are not an IRS secret, but rather are published quarterly in the IRS Statistics of Income Bulletin, which, if you are curious, can probably be found on the IRS website (www.irs/gov).
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Remember, too, that if any individual gift is over $250 you have to do a special form with your taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit for Roth IRA contribution [ 6 Answers ]

My spouse and I are filing tax return jointly this year. Our AGI does not exceed $50,000. And we both made contribution to Roth IRA this year, $4,000 each. However, he is a full-time student. Can we take credit for the roth ira. I know he cannot. But the question if I can take credit just for my...

Minimum monthly roth ira contribution? [ 1 Answers ]

For most roth ira plans, is there a minimum amount of $$ I need to contribute per month? Or can I put in as little each month as I want?

401K Contribution Timing [ 2 Answers ]

I have an employer who has been deducting my 401K contributions from each paycheck since March of this year. None of these deductions are showing up in my 401K account on the third party administrators website and they don't know anything. I've trolled the IRS website, but have not been able to...

View more questions Search