Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pb0918 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2005, 11:15 PM
    Computer nightmare
    I am an computer illiterate and I need some help. My computer will not let me open my IE or access My computer or My control panel... I have Windows XP. I tried to run Spider exe but nothing changed. Anyone have any thoughts? :confused:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2005, 07:19 AM
    Xp
    Hi,
    This may or may not solve the issue, but it's worth a try.
    Turn on your computer, then immediately start pressing and releasing the F8 key, keep pressing and releasing until it stops at a menu option screen.
    Use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to select "Last known good configuration", then press Enter.
    This tells the computer to use the last known good Registry.
    Then, re-boot the computer. Hopefully, it will solve the problems.
    If not, please post back. Happy New Year.
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Dec 31, 2005, 07:30 AM
    Also it may be some kind of virus you could try it in safe mode by pressing F8 and choosing safe mode and if safe mode or last known good configeration work restart your PC again press F8 until the menu comes up then choose safe mode then a screen comes up and to work in safemode you would press yes but if you press no then you can use system restore to put your computer back a couple of days and see if that works.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 31, 2005, 07:40 AM
    Try the other two suggestions first. If they don't help, try booting to your XP CD and use the Repair option.

P.S. This really isn't a network problem. Its an OS or general PC problem. It helps people find questions of interest if you post in the appropriate category. Just a tip for future reference.
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Dec 31, 2005, 07:49 AM
    Try repair and before you reinstall or anything do fixmbr that's what normally sorts my computer out because I think it resets everything
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2005, 09:25 AM
    Repair option
    Hi,
    If you try the Repair Option as suggested, here is a good site with step-by-step instructions on how to do it; I apologize for this if you already know!

http://computing.net/windowsxp/wwwbo...um/140403.html

Best of luck, and Happy New Year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A reading nightmare. [ 13 Answers ]

All of my life I have had a problem where reading was never a joy. I'v always had difficulty with reading, spelling and consontration. Now I'm almost 40 and my reading has never really improved since college. I've struggled with this all of my life, -thank god for spell check, which was not...

Hot tub electrical nightmare---help [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find the code for wiring a hot tub in Reno, Nevada? I have an electrician taking advantage of the fact I know nothing about this topic & I could really use some help.

Probate Nightmare Can Anyone Help? [ 23 Answers ]

This is the latest of what seems to be a hundred letters I have written trying to get help, of which there seems to be none, all because it's a piddly civil matter, I am positive this goes on in every state in this country and something must be done. This has destroyed my family who are good...

Accounting nightmare [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently takinga home education course, and I am having problems with the accounting module. Is there anyone out there who might be able to provide me with some type of tutoring for manual accounting? Or does anyone know of any good web sites that explain the stuff in plain english? The...

The return of the nightmare! [ 6 Answers ]

!Hi guys, I'm new but with old problems. I got rid of DSO at long last ( ta alicka ) but I am getting heaps of rotten stuff in. I have the XP,s firewalls up, Norton Internet Security/ Anti Virus, Spybot and Adware. I still get Pos Browser hijacking and CoolWeb Search, WebDialer and some pop ups....

View more questions Search