Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Johnny2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Living in PA working in NJ
    Hello, I am planning to move to PA while working for my employer based in NJ. Would I have to pay taxes for NJ state, PA state or both.

-John
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 09:14 AM
    John:

Your company's location is irrevelent.

It is where YOU work and live that determines which state taxes you owe.

You owe taxes to the state in which you live on ALL income earned.

You owe taxes to the state in which you work for the income earned within that state's border.

Your home state will give you a credit for the taxes paid to the working state so you will not be taxed TWICE on the same income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living in NY, working in NJ [ 3 Answers ]

1) How are state income taxes determined when a person lives in NY, but works in NJ?. and whatever the answer, is it also explained in the two states 1040 publications that are mailed to residents every year along w/the forms? 2) What are the exact criteria regarding "telecommuting"? For...

Living in NJ working in NY? [ 1 Answers ]

What foms do I fill? Do I have to fill a New York state return?

Living in NY working in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

What type of taxes will I have living in NY and working in NJ? Do I get taxed twice or what? Why do I have to pay taxes in NY if I'm in NJ? Im confused about this whole thing is it worth living in NY and working in NJ?

Living n Nj and working in Ny [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just move to Jersey City, NJ and I work in Manhattan, NY. I would like to know what taxes do I pay to NY and what do I pay to NJ and what is the by-weekly percentage taken off for each one of these deductions. Thank yoou

Living in NY but working in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My husband works in NJ but we live in NY. His job sent him so many w-2's it is so confusing. We use taxcut to do our taxes usually. Do we have to enter w-2's separately like one for NY and one for NJ? Or just add them up? Any help would be appreciated. For federal we would have to...

View more questions Search