Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andonefreestyle Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2005, 10:28 PM
    Help
    What can a kid do if his dad gets drunk pretty often, when he comes home he sreams, yells, get angry very often? How can I help him stop drinking alcohol? What advices can I give him? I told him to read a book on alcoholics he put it in the garbage. I really needs help if not there maybe a divorce and I don't want my family to separate, please help me. God bless you.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 31, 2005, 12:04 AM
    Sorry to hear that your father is an alcoholic. I'm sure your father didn't mean to yell or scream at you. A lot of alcoholics suffer withdrawal fits and can't control themselves. Remember, you can tell your father how you feel about his drinking and your worries about him. You can also attend a group for family members of alcoholics or talking with a counselor can help you to feel supported yourself. There are millions of people struggling with your very same dilemma.

Here's some information that may be of help to you.

Center for Substance Abuse Treatment

National Drug and Alcohol Treatment Hotline
    1.800.662.HELP (-4357)

AL-ANON and ALATEEN
    24-hour Meeting Information Line (U.S. and Canada):
    1.888-4AL-ANON (8 AM - 6 PM EST, M - F)
    General Information and Literature Order Line:
    757.563.1600 (8 AM - 6 PM EST, M - F)

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)

National Association for Children of Alcoholics (NACoA)
    1.888.554.COAS/-2627

Children of Alcoholics Foundation
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2005, 06:45 AM
    Father
    Hi,
    I am so sorry to read this. The answer before this gave you some toll free numbers to call. Please call them, talk with them.
    There is one thing you have to know, to accept, and to remember: YOU can't change him!
    No one can help him, unless he admits to himself that he has a problem with alcohol, and seeks help for himself. I can't say he is an alcoholic, only he can say that... but, he has all the symptoms.
    You and your Mom, together, really, really need to find an Ala-Non meeting in your local area, and go to a meeting. They are free, no hassles, and both of you will learn more from the first meeting that you ever thought was possible!
    PLEASE talk your Mom into going to a meeting. The meetings are for family, loved ones, and friends of an alcoholic; to understand what's happening, and to understand that there is NOTHING you can do about him!
    An alcoholic is in "denial"; that is, it normally takes something drastic to happen to make them realize they have a drinking problem. Until that happens, he will NOT stop drinking.
    I am so sorry you are caught up in this, and it destroys more families than almost anything else. Your MOM has to want help for you and herself, and can find it at Ala-Non meetings.
    I wish you the very best of luck, and your Dad throwing away a book about drinking should prove to you that there is nothing you can do to help. He is in "denial".
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -

Jan 14, 2006, 10:17 PM
    Fredge is absolutely right. Only the alcoholic must want to treat himself before he can overcome the disease.

Nevertheless, it is important to know the biological basis of alcoholism and how nuritional therapy can help an alcoholic recover for good.

Please read:

Alcoholism is a Treatable Disease

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search