Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 03:53 PM
    NJ to apologize for slavery?
    Your opinions please...

New Jersey would become the first northern state and the fifth state overall to apologize for slavery under a bill to be considered this week.

“This is not too much to ask of the state of New Jersey,” said Assemblyman William Payne, who is sponsoring the bill. “All that is being requested of New Jersey is to say three simple words: ‘We are sorry.’”

Legislators in North Carolina, Alabama, Maryland and Virginia have issued formal slavery apologies.

“If former Confederate states can take action like this, why can’t a northeast state like New Jersey?” asked Payne, D-Essex.

But Republican legislators wonder if it would be relevant.

“Who living today is guilty of slave holding and thus capable of apologizing for the offense?” asked Assemblyman Richard Merkt, R-Morris. “And who living today is a former slave and thus capable of accepting the apology? So how is a real apology even remotely possible, much less meaningful, given the long absence of both oppressor and victim?”

Payne, D-Essex, said an apology would comfort black residents and set an example for other states.

The bill is scheduled for a Thursday hearing by the Assembly Appropriations Committee.

It has not received Senate consideration but must be adopted by Tuesday when the legislative session expires.

The North Carolina legislature acted on the slavery-apology issue last spring.

The chief sponsors of the House version, which was approved in early April, were two legislators from Winston-Salem, Democratic Reps. Larry Womble and Earline Parmon.

Several Democrats said at the time that North Carolina needs to take more concrete measures to fight racism and help minorities.

Womble and Parmon, who represent districts that cover much of Winston-Salem, have often supported legislation dealing with past injustices. For instance, they have sponsored bills that would compensate people who were sterilized under the state’s eugenics program in the 20th century.

But the bill has not advanced, and Womble has amended it to remove any specific figure for financial compensation. It would instead only study how much the benefits would cost and how they could be provided.

The status of the study was unclear because the bill authorizing it was folded into an omnibus bill that the Senate declined to take up before the legislative session ended in August.
    Should states - and Congress - apologize for slavery, or is the mere act of abolishing slavery sufficient? Why or why not?

In those states that have officially apologized, has it accomplished anything?

Would such an apology "comfort black residents?" Will it/has it comforted you?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 04:29 PM
    I remember when my state (Virginia) did this, there was the same sort of thing - what's the point? Does it really matter? I can say my life hasn't changed as a result, and I don't personally know anyone who's life has changed as a result.

But Jersey? What the hell?

I sort of hold the opinion an "apology" is long past due and the people who deserve the apology are long gone. Now it's just a grandiose gesture that doesn't hold as much meaning as it would have, oh, 150 years ago.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 04:37 PM
    It is a meaningless political action that has no value what so ever.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 04:39 AM
    “Out, damn spot! Out I say!”

NJ was one of the last Northern States to get rid of slavery . But you would think the blood of the soldiers from NJ that fought to end slavery(over 80,000 enlisted ) would've cleansed their soul. Besides ,if they were going to apologize for anything I would think it would be for refusing to allow freed blacks to settle in NJ .

I could think of much better things for the fools in Trenton to apologize for :
    Wasteful spending
    High taxes
    Rampant corruption
    Their inability to resolve the major issues affecting the state
    Abuse of power
    Pension padding
    Nepotism
    The New Jersey Turnpike

All of which makes NJ a laughing stock in the nation. When asked about illegal immigration the same group of idiots would say we shouldn't “punish children for crime committed by their parents”.

I would be interested to hear a comment by legal experts . Is an apology an admission of guilt ? Is this the first step towards a reparations settlement ?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Should I helping pay reparations when my great great grandfather risked all he owned in Pennsylvania as a conductor on the underground railway? Or my great grandfather that risked his life fighting to bring Kansas into the union as a free state?

What about all the people descended from the waves of immigrants a 100 years ago?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2008, 07:00 AM
    I don't think ANY state should apologize for slavery. Such things NEED to be looked at in the context of times. At the time, slavery was a worldwide practice. Many african slaves were sold to white slavers by other african tribes, not captured by them. There are still places were slavery is still practiced, at least in secret.

Should southern states apologize for growing tobacco? In my opinion, that would be a similar deal. I can see a proclamation something to the effect of recognizing that slavery was wrong and expressing regret for promoting it. But I would stop short of an actual apology.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 07:42 AM
    My ancestors were immigrants to this country and showed up here soon after slavery was abolished. They were fleeing pogroms and many of their relatives didn't make it out alive. I am not looking for an apology for the uprooting and murdering of my extended family. There just isn't any "comfort" in empty words. I am very thankful they chose this country to start anew, even though they were met with hostility, prejudice, and given limited choices from the people born here. I think an apology to anyone who is a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th,. generation descendant of atrocities from so long ago is meaningless and a waste of time. I question the reasoning behind all this. Is the angle to gain enough apologies in another attempt to sue the government for reparations? Personally, I don't want my hard earned money given to someone who has had very much the same obstacles and opportunities that I have had.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Is the angle to gain enough apologies in another attempt to sue the government for reparations?
    I believe so ;that is why I asked for a legal opinion of the consequence of such a statement.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    I remember when my state (Virginia) did this, there was the same sort of thing - what's the point? Does it really matter? I can say my life hasn't changed as a result, and I don't personally know anyone who's life has changed as a result.

But Jersey? What the hell?

I sort of hold the opinion an "apology" is long past due and the people who deserve the apology are long gone. Now it's just a grandiose gesture that doesn't hold as much meaning as it would have, oh, 150 years ago.
    Thanks, Jillian. I was especially curious as to if anyone had been "comforted" by such an apology.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    “Out, damn spot! Out I say!”

NJ was one of the last Northern States to get rid of slavery . But you would think the blood of the soldiers from NJ that fought to end slavery(over 80,000 enlisted ) would've cleansed their soul. Besides ,if they were going to apologize for anything I would think it would be for refusing to allow freed blacks to settle in NJ .
    Excellent points, tom.

I could think of much better things for the fools in Trenton to apologize for :
    Wasteful spending
    High taxes
    Rampant corruption
    Their inability to resolve the major issues affecting the state
    Abuse of power
    Pension padding
    Nepotism
    The New Jersey Turnpike
    "This is a state where people go to a landfill next to a turnpike that's on fire on alternate weekends to cheer a team from New York." -- Stuart Stevens, Republican Consultant

Poll Finds Almost Half of New Jersey Adults Want to Move Out of State

All of which makes NJ a laughing stock in the nation. When asked about illegal immigration the same group of idiots would say we shouldn't “punish children for crime committed by their parents”.
    Ah, another excellent point. It's all liberal guilt at work, it has less to do with making things right than soothing their tormented souls. That's how they can justify punishing the children (great-great-great grandchildren?) of slaveholders while giving illegals a break. It's not about helping the guy in need, it's about "me" and making "me" feel better.

I would be interested to hear a comment by legal experts . Is an apology an admission of guilt ? Is this the first step towards a reparations settlement ?
    It is most definitely the first step to reparations in my opinion.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Should I helping pay reparations when my great great grandfather risked all he owned in Pennsylvania as a conductor on the underground railway? Or my great grandfather that risked his life fighting to bring Kansas into the union as a free state?

What about all the people descended from the waves of immigrants a 100 years ago?
    I think you and tom hit the nail on the head. The sacrifice to end slavery goes above and beyond any apology.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I don't think ANY state should apologize for slavery. Such things NEED to be looked at in the context of times. At the time, slavery was a worldwide practice. Many african slaves were sold to white slavers by other african tribes, not captured by them. There are still places were slavery is still practiced, at least in secret.

Should southern states apologize for growing tobacco? IMHO, that would be a similar deal. I can see a proclamation something to the effect of recognizing that slavery was wrong and expressing regret for promoting it. But i would stop short of an actual apology.
    I agree Scott, and if the states keep apologizing for slavery I think Nevada should have to apologize for Harry Reid :D
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    My ancestors were immigrants to this country and showed up here soon after slavery was abolished. They were fleeing pogroms and many of their relatives didn't make it out alive. I am not looking for an apology for the uprooting and murdering of my extended family. There just isn't any "comfort" in empty words. I am very thankful they chose this country to start anew, even though they were met with hostility, prejudice, and given limited choices from the people born here. I think an apology to anyone who is a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th,... generation descendant of atrocities from so long ago is meaningless and a waste of time. I question the reasoning behind all this. Is the angle to gain enough apologies in another attempt to sue the government for reparations? Personally, I don't want my hard earned money given to someone who has had very much the same obstacles and opportunities that I have had.
    Thanks Ruby. I have to think if anyone's "comfort" is dependent on this apology - or reparations - they have bigger issues to deal with.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    I agree Scott, and if the states keep apologizing for slavery I think Nevada should have to apologize for Harry Reid :D
    LOL!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is slavery wrong? [ 49 Answers ]

Of course I know that slavery is wrong. This is a strictly an exercise in philosophical reasoning. It is easy to say the right things but it is far more important to understand why. So the question is; Why shouldn't I be able to own another human being?

Why slavery is wrong! [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know why slavery is wrong? And I need information from the internet or a specific book on slavery! I know slavery is wrong so don't think I don't know why slavery is wrong but it has to be from a site and it has to be backed up! So please tell me why slavery is wrong!:)

Why is slavery wrong? [ 14 Answers ]

How and why is slavery wrong? :confused:

Slavery [ 9 Answers ]

Is slavery wrong?

Should I apologize? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been dating this guy for a couple of weeks. He is 42 and I am 25. He is in the medical industry, so he is always busy and work and traveling. A few days ago I caught an attitude because I don't get to see or talk to him much. I realized that I was being very immature, but that was after the...

View more questions Search