Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zufan Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2005, 04:29 PM
    Please advice with changing fuel filter on my '90 Civic
    Hi
    Could anyone offer advice on how I change the fuel filter on my Honda Civic 1990 , it is fuel injection.
    I hear that I first need to unbolt the banjo bolt but I don't know which one it is.
    It would be great if anyone knows of a place online that might have photo's on how to do this and which bolt is which as I am a novice at this.
    Cheers
    Katrina
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Dec 30, 2005, 06:35 PM
    It's pretty easy, even for a novice.

There are 2 big bolts on top of a fuel filter. One of them has a smaller bolt "inside" of it. It's called a "banjo bolt".

First thing you do, is grab that small bolt, and loosen it some. Place a rag over it before you do it, because gas might squirt out. Also, make sure the engine is cold, so that the squirting gas doesn't ignite on anything. Also, a good thing would be to disconnect the negative battery terminal before you do anything.

After you loosen the nut, open your gas tank filler cap, to relieve fuel pressure. Then remove the 2 bolts on fuel filter. The filter is held on to the chassis with a few more bolts. Take it out, put new one in, put new washers (under the 2 big bolts) and connect everything back. Make sure you tighten the banjo bolt back. Also, remember the fuel tank cap!

Dec 30, 2005, 07:17 PM
    Thanks heaps Crocivic!

I will be on it right away and let you know how I do.

Thanks again
    K.

Jan 2, 2006, 05:03 PM
    Hi Crocivic91.. its me again..

Can you or anyone else shed some light on this.. I live in London but imported my Honda from Austria and it is a CIVIC ED6 (16 Valve , 1.4.. something something don't remember the last two digits, fuel injected) . When I was shopping for a new fuel filter the auto shops could not find my model on there database.. can anyone please tell me if there is a difference between ED6 AND ED7 (they have parts for ED7 ).
    I would really appreciate it.. I see honda's that look exactly like mine around town but I don't know what the ED6 actually stands for .

Thanks in advance
    Katrina
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jan 2, 2006, 08:09 PM
    ED6 should tell you what engine is in the car. As I see in my list, ED7 should have a 1.6 liter engine in it. I believe you could use it's fuel filter with your car.

However, ED8 would be more appropriate for you. It's a Honda CRX 1.5 liter engine. CRX and Civic parts are absolutely interchangeable (well, at least parts under the hood), if the cars are built from 88-91. So, ask them if they have a fuel filter for ED8 chassis type, or for D15B2 engine type. If they don't, just go with ED7.

Jan 2, 2006, 09:15 PM
    Thanks heaps Crocivic91!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

'89 Honda Civic - no power to fuel pump [ 7 Answers ]

My little 89 Honda Civic had been running fine... then suddenly a few times it felt like the fuel delivery was getting weak, then it'd perk back up. I parked the car for a few days and drove my main car. I went back to the Honda after a 5-6 day hiatus - and it won't start. It turns over, but...

Civic 2000,fuel and spark, no start [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Civic 1.6 ,single cam ,that quit running.Engine turns over,good battery,fuel pump runs,injectors get fuel and signal to open and close.Also, it has spark and the engine timing is fine, but it does not start.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

92 honda civic no fire no fuel-new relay! [ 3 Answers ]

92 honda civic won't start- replaced distributor, fuel pump, and main relay still nothing! If I jump the 5 & 7 terminals on the relay plug the pump will work but that's the only way it will but I still have no fire?? What could this be?? PLEASE HELP!!

1990 Honda Civic Duel Point Fuel Injection [ 6 Answers ]

Before I get into doing a leak down test and changing the head gasket our there other things that can be checked first. Main relay re-soldered The condition remained the same. Car starts every time revs 1500rpms or more. If I press the pedal in long strokes the engine will hesitate and die, but...

89 Honda Civic-fuel pump-main relay [ 3 Answers ]

Have 89 Honda Civic with a carb. Car wouldn't start replaced main relay. However the fuel pump won't work from the main relay. So I bypassed the main relay for a temp solution. The main relay was brand new. I am looking for a permanent solution. Help! & Thanks

View more questions Search