Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scri8e Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Jan 1, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Search CA LandLord Tenant Laws = Gov sites Blocked?
    Search CA LL Laws

I wasn't sure which category I should post this in? Here or computer something or other.
    Since I was working with this because of needs driven by CA Landlord/Tenant Law. I decided to post here.

I was working on setting up a customized search engine for CA LL Law. It's a tool offered by Google. I was using the Linux side of my laptops dual boot. As I am learning Linux I am finding out how much more cooperative/easy to customize Linux OS
    Is than XP.

I have been frustrated for a long time with search results returned for CA Landlord Tenant law. When I do search I don't seem to get very much information returned from CA sites. I only get info from other States on similar topics.

In trying to set this customized search engine up the reason why this happens became very clear to me. Of the 5 website URL's I put into the custom search script to search for the keywords within these 5 sites only. No matter what I put into this engine as Landlord/Tenant type key words. Only one site would return results. I couldn't understand why?

So I grabbed the first URL and pasted it into my browser window and this was returned:

Not Found The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it. 

... blink blink...

I tried another link to a LA court site.
    I'm in Linux still. It gives me an error also. With a pop-up saying that this site needs 4 java plug in's installed. In order to view/navigate it. So I try to install one of them. (only been messing in Linux for 2 days)... BONK... Broken application I have to force it quit.

So this site also has a block on it of a java breed. This is the site that gave me the plug in's needed

http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/

The first one which is the main link for CA Law is always displayed the same way.

It has a cgi wais block on it. Are there other states that do this search engine blocking? Is this for a security reason? Or is this so the people are not allowed to search the information to educate themselves better on the Law?

I don't understand the reasoning there?

Then for grins I put the word tenant in here to search. It came up with zero. But when I put in gas it returned 2 pages. That page had the word Tenants in it? What the heck?

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/const.html

It found that one page when I typed in tenants but not, tenant, found it when I put in Tenants.

Jan 2, 2008, 05:16 AM
    I think I have it behaving correctly now?

CA landlord law
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 2, 2008, 07:07 AM
    I moved this to WEB development since your questions is mostly about programming. I did have one comment to make on this statement:

"As I am learning Linux I am finding out how much more cooperative/easy to customize Linux OS is than XP."

That's like saying its easier to move a feather than a rock. Linux was designed to be user customized. XP is proprietary.

Jan 2, 2008, 12:08 PM
    From Original post:

(only been messing in Linux for 2 days)... BONK... Broken application I have to force it quit.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I moved this to WEB development since your questions is mostly about programming. I did have one comment to make on this statement:

"As I am learning Linux I am finding out how much more cooperative/easy to customize Linux OS is than XP."

That's like saying its easier to move a feather than a rock. Linux was designed to be user customized. XP is proprietary.

2nd day using Linux Scott. I didn't post this in computer anything. I stated my reasons for this, but now it's moved there. I did not post it in 2 categories as that is not proper for this forum.

How about answering the question that is related to the post. Are most State, gov Law sites blocked from search engines for a security reason?

No I didn't find this 1st post reply of yours helpful. Hopefully you will reply with a 2nd that is.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 2, 2008, 12:27 PM
    No I don't believe that govt sites are blocked from search engines. What's the purpose of putting them on the WEB then?

That's why I moved your post, because I trhink you have a programming issue. So I moved it to where you might get the type of help you need.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord and tenant laws [ 3 Answers ]

My lease started in November of 2006. October 12, 2007 my place became condemed when the state inspector came out and inspected my mobile home. He found numerous things wrong with the place, some that was a safety issue between life and death. There was faulty wire on the outside that was used and...

Landlord/tenant laws in PA [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is a member of a sorority in which they live in a house in the college town of Shippensburg, PA. The girls' lease was originally signed in May of each year, for some reason the landlord insisted on having that moved to Feb 1st. Now he notified them that he was approached by someone...

How can I get around my school blocked sites? They even got proxy sites blocked. [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get around my school blocked sites. They even got our proxy sites blocked> is their any other way?

Landlord tenant laws [ 1 Answers ]

Can a new owner of an apartment complex raise you rent and how much in the state of New Jersey?

Landlord-tenant laws [ 23 Answers ]

My apartment complex manager entered my apartment without giving any notice while I was at work, told a friend that she specifically said could stay there until he found his own apartment to get out and served him with criminal trespassing papers, told him to never be near the apartment complex,...

View more questions Search