Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PaintingMom Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Latest records being released, new data on the internet
    I have been a genealogist for years and feel like I've researched all that I can with the Mormon Church, Ancestry Websites, Ellis Island, Census Records and sites like Cyndi's. Are there any websites that are fairly new (like in the last 6 months) that I might not know of that have "new" databases to check into? Or is there a website that keeps track of the latest information databases that are free to the public to look into? I have access to Ancestry.com, but actually have chosen not to use it as much, as I do not like how the keep tabs on what one is researching. For instance I recently viewed a census record for "Jane Doe" and now anyone else researching that person knows that I am researching that same person and now they contact me thru' the website. Familiar with all the "big ones" like genforum, cousins, etc. so again looking for the new stuff that I might not have heard much about in recent times, but fellow genealogists are having successes with these new sites... :) Does anybody else not care for Ancestry.com? I also don't like how they constantly are changing their levels of what you can see. It used to be if you paid for the service you could view any database.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2008, 03:52 AM
    I too am disappointed with Ancestry... but stick with them since they have the most stuff. I don't know of new databases but consistently find new info just googling. As genealogy research is becoming more and more popuplar, and more and more people are putting their info on a website - new info is added to what can be found googling every day.

Same with the Rootsweb world trees. That's always the first place I look when researching someone new.

Worthy of note too are libraries who subscribe to special databases that are only available through them.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 05:32 AM
    My wife is doing history on her family -- it makes her happy -- many problems

Much of the time records are not available -- no one to talk to -- dead end

Then I wonder if anyone else will share her interest -- next generation??

Finding free information is a myth -- all links lead to Ancestry.Com
    SonofSam Posts: 35, Reputation: 7

Jan 9, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Rootsweb.com and familysearch.org have been helpful to me. I'd give it a shot if you haven't yet. Both are free too.

Jan 9, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Yes rootsweb and all the others are familiar to me... I'm hoping to find those lesser known ones that are publishing information on the internet.
    SonofSam Posts: 35, Reputation: 7

Jan 11, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Try facebook.com--- its like myspace but without spammers and pop-ups. They have thousands upon thousands of groups that you can join. I searched my my last name in the group database and found several genealogy interest groups.

The best part is that the people in these groups are from all over the world. I contacted someone with my surname from england [who's in the process of checking into some records over there]

Its just a thought, but you might run into someone abroad who has a goldmine of information.

Jan 11, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Thanks for the Facebook idea... that's the sort of thing I'm trying to find... new approaches to genealogy. As I've been doing research for years, I have essentially used up all the information that I can possibly obtain through the Mormons, Rootsweb, Ancestry, etc. I find that Cyndi's is a good source for newer ideas and approaches to genealogy too. :)
    METERRE Posts: 206, Reputation: 22

Jan 11, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Hey I have been trying to search for at least a phone number for my dad which I haven't seen in over 14 years. He's I think in another country, but every time I try to find some info on the internet, it costs money, and I don't have any. Do you guys have any idea of how I can get at least a hint of where he might be? Alteast know if he's still alive?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Skips data records when printing labels with Works 8.5 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Our office uses Works 8.5 on our new Windows Vista HP computer. We use an Epson 570e (dot matrix) to print our mailing labels--over 4000 labels per print job. It prints on every label, but when we examine the labels it is skipping every 12th record from our database. There is nothing...

Private in data in internet café [ 5 Answers ]

I use internet in an internet café. Everybody must download to the same folder and it is not secure to place my data there. What I must do to make my data secure. Is there any kind of software that ask for password when we want to view a folder that do not require administrator right to install...

Making a back up of data via internet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I hope u can help me to find a documentation helping me to make a tele backup. In other way , how to create a virtual server with 2 machines (computers) or more... wich all user can connect to put their backups on this server. On foreground the clients things that they'r saving their...

Software to Track Internet Data Transfer & Usage [ 17 Answers ]

I want to get a free software to manage my ADSL connection at home, which will tell me the amount of data transferred while I am on net, both sent and received. It will also keep monthly records on each time log-in basis, so that I can get my usage data. It should be absolutely a freeware, as I...

Data transmission over the internet [ 1 Answers ]

Is there an international agreement governing the transmission of data and voice over the internet?

View more questions Search