Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcgullo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 05:23 PM
    My cat is losing weight, I changed him to can food could this be the reason?
    My 11 year old cat is a male tabby... I recently tried some fancy feast and he loves it and will not touch his dry food (hardly) at all. He is losing weight, but he eats and drinks and goes to the bathroom just fine. He is not laying around either.. He only goes out in our back yard with us from time to time but is not an out door cat on a regular basis... I would appreciate any input...
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 06:05 PM
    This may be difficult, but can you find out the calorie content of what he was eating and compare that to what he is getting from the current canned food? (For example, if the dry food was 500 Kcal/C, and you fed him half a cup, that would be 250 Kcal. So the wet food needs to supply that many calories.) It may just be that he needs more food to get the same calories. On the other hand, with him being 11, I'd be concerned about weight loss and possible underlying conditions. So if he doesn't start picking up with more food, I'd get to a vet have him looked at.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 06:42 AM
    The vet told me if I wanted my cat to loose some weight to put him on canned food only. So from that I gather that there must not be as many calories in it.
    tishtosh Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Your cat may have worms, try some worming tablets, if that doesn't work I would take him to the vet
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Jan 12, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Dear DCGullo - Just wanted to share with you. I had a wonderful black cat, DeeDee, that was overweight and was in fine health. I took her one time to the vet who recommended that I change her food so she could lose weight. At first, it looked like the new food was working out fine. However, within a few weeks I started to notice DeeDee looked tired. The vet said she was fine and I continued the diet. To make a long story short, DeeDee lost a lot of weight -and was never the same again. She was ill from that point on, throwing up, thin and not feeling well. All the way to her death. It was not worth it.

Today, I have 2 cats that are overweight and I am not changing their food. I saw how DeeDee suffered and I will not allow that to happen again. Please be careful before your kitty becomes ill - making a diet change for your cat could cost him his health. Take care.
    Annalise12 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 12:05 AM
    It probably is but just in case case I would go back to the other food you gave him

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Losing weight [ 1 Answers ]

Is jogging or walking is a effective way to loose weight... :confused:

Weight losing Pill [ 3 Answers ]

I want to loos 10 kg of my weight. Is there any medicene?

Losing weight. [ 4 Answers ]

My goal for the summer is to loose some weight before high school =]. But the problem is since that it is way to hot outside I don't seem to get to motivated to go outside and workout, or workout inside... So what I've been doing is not eating as much but sometimes I would sneek in a few junkies...

I need some advice on losing weight. [ 10 Answers ]

I'm 16 years old and weigh 260lbs. I do not gain or loose any weight. I'm stuck! I've tried many diets but find that I do not have enough will power to actually stick to the exercising. I'm tiered of hearing rude remarks from guys and people at home and school. They don't know how bad it hurts to...

Losing weight [ 4 Answers ]

:( I'm a teenager but I'm kind of fat:( I want to loose weight how can I do that except taking all these pills and stuff cause I don't trust them ! I want to looze weight but I don't know a way Help me!! Xoxo

View more questions Search