Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twoc2bcool Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Not sure what is wrong with my parakeet?
    Hi, I have a parakeet that has been just laying around on the bottom of his cage today. I noticed when he finally got up onto his perch that his right foot is stiff.

I'm worried because my last parakeet just laid around on the bottom of the cage before he died, but he didn't have a stiff foot.

Does anyone know what might have caused the stiff foot? From looking around on the internet I think it might be lead poisoning, but I'm not sure.
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Jan 4, 2008, 03:37 AM
    I know this is late in the day but as there is no reply I will give my twopenny worth..

I would def take the bird to the vet if he is still alive as it sounds like a simple problem that can be fixed with the right help, usually when a birds foot or feet go stiff it is usually because of a vitimin deficiency, your vet can do a blood check to check see which vitimin is the one he is lacking in, and after that it shouldn't take long to get him back to normal,
    Also keep a look out for his foot changing color and also for lumps on the foot , otherwise known as bumblefoot... this is caused by perching wire floors as he has a foot injury and is perching on the floor make sure he doesn't get the lumps and if they do get help from the vet...

What sort of parakeet is it and what are you feeding him or her on? How old is she and have their been any color changes to the foot or beak?

Do you feed any extra vitimins and if so.. what? Even by feeding your bird cuttle fish and an iodine block your bird can still have a vitamin deficiency... cuttle provides calcium and iodine...
    Your bird requires a wide and varied diet not just the same seed day in and day out, he requires sunlight where he gets most of his vitamins from in the first place (and I mean direct sunlight not just through the window, he needs to be outside often) there are hundreds of vitamins needed by our birds this can be got from fruit, nuts, seed, sunlight and also extra supplements..

Try warming his foot up with a warm clothand warm water and massage his toes a few times a day to help blood circulation, also another cause may be a broken toe or foot from an accident in play... all need to be checked

Good luck and I hope your bird is still alive and the message didn't come to late...
    Does sound like a deficiency in something though

Katie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Parakeet with lead poisoning? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Hey everyone!I'm dealing with a serious situation. I have two parakeets, a girl and a boy. However I never raised parakeets before and I'm concerned because not only have my birds been fighting every five seconds but my girl parakeet turned black the other day and then green again. Also...

Is this wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in a loving relationship with my partner of 3 yrs. We had a 2 yr old daughter, but recently I've started to think about his brother. My partner is 7 yrs older than myself but his brother is a yr older. The last time we made love all I could think about was his brother and not him. Is this...

What do I do wrong [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I just want to no what I have to do to let guys no that I am interested in them. Seriously it is so hard. I am no super model but I am not paper bag worthy either but there is just no interest in me. Any guys want to tell me what the secret is??

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

I am not sure what is wrong with my PC [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Compaq presario 5000 that I boutht about 4 years ago, I recently turn it on and the monitor doesn't show anything, I thought I might be the video card, replace it and still doesn't work, the computer has power but the cd rom doesn't open, do you know what it might be?

View more questions Search