Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Right of Landlord to photograph Tenant's apartment
    Hi,

My landlord has informed me, in writing, that a professional photographer will be photographing my apartment for use on the landlord's website. He did not ask for permission to photograph my possessions I was just told to make my apartment available.

Must I allow the photography to take place and images of my apartment to appear on the landlord's website?

My lease is not up for a year and I always pay my rent on time.

Thank you!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2008, 03:23 PM
    If you do allow him, I would tell him that it has to be a time that is convenient for you to be there. Also maybe hide any valuable possessions before hand that you are able to.
    bethanee76 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Not sure about the photography. I believe it's legal, as he is making it known to you. As long as he gives you 24 hours notice, he can enter.

Just my opinion.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Hello grb:

The apartment is his. With proper notice, he can take as many pictures of it that he wants. The possessions, on the other hand, are yours and he can't take pictures of them. If he wants to, charge him.

You may think I'm being facetious. But, no... In the movies (which are made for profit), people are paid for the image of their cars and their homes if they're used in the film. Therefore, if he wants to use your things in his "for profit" photograph, charge him.

If he only wants to take pictures of HIS walls, and you need to do some furniture moving, charge him for your time.

I would inform him of this arrangement in writing, sent certified, return receipt requested.

excon

Jan 4, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello grb:

The apartment is his. With proper notice, he can take as many pictures of it that he wants. The possessions, on the other hand, are yours and he can't take pictures of them. If he wants to, charge him.

You may think I'm being facetious. But, no..... In the movies (which are made for profit), people are paid for the image of their cars and their homes if they're used in the film. Therefore, if he wants to use your things in his "for profit" photograph, charge him.

If he only wants to take pictures of HIS walls, and you need to do some furniture moving, charge him for your time.

I would inform him of this arrangement in writing, sent certified, return receipt requested.

excon
    Excon,
    Thank you for your answer. The landlord's letter states that their updated website will include photos of apartments and because my apartment is "decorated so beautifully, it has been selected to be professionally photographed." So he wants to photograph my stuff.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Excon

Quote Originally Posted by grb
    it has been selected to be professionally photographed
    Hello again, grb:

He wants to use YOUR stuff to make a profit for himself. I think that's wonderful. It's good business on his part. Make it good business on your part too. Clearly, he's PAYING a photographer. If the photographer was filming a model, your landlord would be paying for that too. They're filming YOUR stuff. I see no difference.

YOU paid for your "beautiful" stuff. He wants to rent it for a few hours. He should have offered you money for the shoot.

What?? He doesn't want YOU to pay rent when you use HIS stuff? I think he does. He should be willing to share the wealth. If he doesn't want to, tell him to pound sand.

excon

Jan 4, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Excon

Hello again, grb:

He wants to use YOUR stuff to make a profit for himself. I think that's wonderful. It's good business on his part. Make it good business on your part too. Clearly, he's PAYING a photographer. If the photographer was filming a model, your landlord would be paying for that too. They're filming YOUR stuff. I see no difference.

YOU paid for your "beautiful" stuff. He wants to rent it for a few hours. He should have offered you money for the shoot.

What??? He doesn't want YOU to pay rent when you use HIS stuff? I think he does. He should be willing to share the wealth. If he doesn't want to, tell him to pound sand.

excon
    THANK YOU! My sentiments exactly!
    WillMac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2010, 12:25 PM
    GRB, while excon's staements sound good, he's not exactly using your stuff for "profit". It's perfectly within his right as the owner of the property to photograph it for his website, as long as he give's you notice. It's similar to most leases, which allow the landlord to show your apartments while you're still living there. By excon's reasoning, if you decided to sell some of your stuff online, and shot it in your apartment, you'd have to pay the landlord a "usage fee" for using his apartment
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WillMac View Post
    ... By excon's reasoning, if you decided to sell some of your stuff online, and shot it in your apartment, you'd have to pay the landlord a "usage fee" for using his apartment
    There is a difference. GRB is already paying the LL for use of the apartment. LL is not paying GRB a "modeling fee" for photraphing his stuff. I tend to agree with excon.

Make a proposal to the LL. It never hurts to ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord Selling Apartment [ 2 Answers ]

My landlord has hired an appraiser to look through the house in which my apartment is one of three units. What happens to my lease if the house is sold?

Landlord is giving out tenant's personal info [ 2 Answers ]

I live upstairs from my landlord and lately her and I have been having disputes. I have now been receiving calls from friends and family of her's that she gave my number to even after I told her not to give out my phone number. Can I sue my landlord for harassment?

Does a landlord need a key to my apartment [ 2 Answers ]

If you have a landlord, that has keys to every other apartment and enters them at will, with no notice to the tenant of that apartment. Do I have to give her a key because I'm afraid she will enter and things will g missing.

Entry into tenant's apartment [ 2 Answers ]

I work for a company that provides temporary housing for corporations and was looking for a source of a letter to tenants that may be left in their unit when we perform maintenance.

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search