Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Dec 30, 2005, 06:32 AM
    Virtual Violence
    I was just reading what rickj posted on boycotting and I got to thinking (not about boycotting but it sparked my train of thought). First, how many of you oppose violent videogames?

Pretty much all of you either have or want children, and that's where I think this question ties in, Now my next question, How many of you oppose violent videogames for children/teens and why?

This summer Grand Theft Auto San Andreas had a recall done on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_T...o:_San_Andreas because it showed some sexual intercorse mini-game, (the link provides info about the game but also the story of it's recall it's under "the hot coffee scandal" section).

I have played all Grand Theft Auto's, I own one, I don't mind the game, it's all right, but agree that it is not right for little kids, the material is very subjective and there is a lot swearing. Now, video games due have a rating system, E(everyone) T(Teens) M(Mature) and maybe a few more, but those are the common ones. The only problem with this rating system is that it does absolutely nothing, sort of like the ratings of movies, even though you can't buy a rated r ticket doesn't mean you can't sneak into the theater.

Now the video game industry is a ginormous business, generating billions of dollars(ask bill gates) and yet it gets no recognition bad or good. Video games are near and dear to my heart, I play halo 2 religiously, and have been playing video games since the atari and nintendo(old skool) days. What I wonder is how with such a bad rating system, no body to turn to and ask if it's a bad game, will parents understand what they are really buying their kids. Understand that it's unlikely that you will forbid your kids from video games, because kids usually can be crafty enough to get their toys. So I am asking to the parents and future parents what do you think about the rapidily growing videogame business's lack of care on what your children see or hear?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2005, 08:00 AM
    You are right. The ultra-violence in games, movies, etc. desensitizes the kids way too early.

I can't think of a more profound way to say or explain it than that.

In my home "T" is the limit for games, and frankly I think many of those even push the envelope too far.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 1, 2006, 03:08 AM
    I agree with you rick I think the industry as a whole takes very little responsibility for the contents of its games.But ultimately it falls on the PARENTS and what we allow our kids to have in our homes.Yes they can be pretty sneaky but we have to stay on them.:cool:Even if it means invading their privacy!
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Feb 12, 2006, 05:46 PM
    I do think that it is right to market violent video games to young children. As a mom of two young girls I wouldn't want them at another child's house if someone in that home was playing the game right in front of them. I don't let them watch violent movies, so I hold the same standard for video games.

But talaniman is right it is the parents first and foremost responsibility to control that issue for their young children. As for my teenager. I wouldn't be happy about it at all, but if they bought a game with there money it's there choice, but I would not buy it for them. At sixteen you can distinguish between what is real and what is fantasy, but not a six.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Feb 14, 2006, 03:27 PM
    But ultimately it falls on the PARENTS and what we allow our kids to have in our homes.
    talaniman, rick & bizygurl your spot on! PARENTS NEED TO PARENT there kids

You are right. The ultra-violence in games, movies, etc. desensitizes the kids way too early.
    Kids in this day and age seem to grow up way to fast and I feel as a parent if I allow my kids to view these kind of games or video's that I'm taking away from there childhood... What do kids learn from games about picking Pro's up, smashing people in killing and so on, this all add's up to why the world we live in today has such high numbers of kids in prison and so on because they no longer have value's because these things take them away from them, like they have been stolen.
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Feb 15, 2006, 12:15 AM
    News flash I agree with you on some parts, however the correlation between kids playing violent video games and them being more apt to do crime has never been made, yes some video games do desensitize kids, however video games do not influence their values, the same thing was said for rock music in it's early years but that has passed on and it's now laughable which is like video games, video games should be restricted to certain age limits at least the violent one's should, the one's about pokemon don't really matter, however the one's about killing, and any other federal crimes they will commit should be supervised. But as far as saying that playing a character in a game who kills people does not warp kids minds into thinking it's all right for everyday life, they can distinguish between reality and fantasy. All parents have to do is understand the industry and moderate their kids play as they should on computers and everything would be fine, but total and complete shut off from video games is for lack of a better term ignorant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Domestic violence [ 12 Answers ]

My boyfriend was dealing with a lot of self issues, his self esteem was real low because he was having problems finding a job, he didn't like the fact that I was the bread winner, and he was falling deep in love with me and didn't know how to deal with it, so he went out and got high on crystal...

Restraining Order - Repeat Violence [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend who has a restraining order against him and he has asked me To go speak to the person who ordered the restraining order and ask that Person to drop the order because he says it is my fault that it was placed on Him. I am afraid if I do that according to Florida law this would be...

Domestic violence [ 2 Answers ]

By law, do I still have to testify against my boyfriend if we get married.

Virtual memory [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get more virtual memory? My computer says that I am low on virtual memory.

Low Virtual Memory [ 6 Answers ]

Guys, when I'm on the computer, once in a while I would get this message stating that I'm low on virtual memory and windows is going to increase the memory. And other times it tells me to delete some old files on my C drive to make more space, but I don't want to delete my files. The only other...

View more questions Search