Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    budi4u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 08:23 AM
    What's the growth formula from a minus number?
    Hi..
    I'm frustating about the growth formula like this.. :rolleyes:

Let's say,
    - profit in 2006 = -5000
    - profit in 2007 = 1000

what's the formula to find the growth 2007 compared to 2006 ?

Thanks for your answer.
    life1973happened Posts: 322, Reputation: 109
    -

Jan 1, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Good afternoon budi4u...
    I am going to try to help you with this by doing it two ways. I'll give you the basic way to get your answer, that I think is correct, than some things I've learned when figuring out these types of equations. However, I am not the expert, more of a student of the formula myself. But I hope it helps.

You need to figure out what the simple straight-line growth % is. Which is the increase divided by the 2006 profit loss. Don't get confused by the word (growth) when starting with a profit loss.

Key points to keep in mind going forward is there are basic formulas that work for most scenarios when figuring out final answers. Though in this question you used the word (profit) as the definition of growth. Knowing the definition, or what they are looking for, depends on what the definition of growth is in the given equation.

Example; are they asking for profit growth, revenue growth, market share growth? Those are just a few examples. Growth is the critical word.

A basic idea is that once you know which growth definition you are trying to get you can fill in the blank. Increase divided by _______ = ?

Another basic idea is that when figuring something in a percentage is taking the old minus the new divided by the old.

Does this help? I hope so... Good luck to you.
    terryg752 Posts: 197, Reputation: 4

Jan 1, 2008, 06:01 PM
    It is a bit of a problem!

Suppose profit in 2006 = 1
    in 2007 = 1000

Increase = 99900% (999/1 times 100)

So, if profit in 2006 was 0, Increase percent = Infinity!

So you cannot really represent the growth by percentages when 2006 figure is zero or negative!

Perhaps a better way is to represent the situation by a graph.

ANOTHER WAY

Growth in 2007 = 6000/1000 times 100 = 600% of the profit in 2007.

Growth in 2007 = = 600% of the profit in 2007.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

18 P Minus Deletion Syndrome? [ 12 Answers ]

Does anyone have any information regarding this chromosome abnormality. I can't find anything online that gives me any understandable information... thanks so much in advance.

Constant growth formula [ 2 Answers ]

Why is the constant growth formula applicable to so many firms?

Twenty minus the product of 4 and a number x is less than four [ 3 Answers ]

twenty minus the product of 4 and a number x is less than four. how is this equation written?

What is the formula [ 1 Answers ]

Hello What would you pay for an annuity of $2,000 paid every six months,beginning in 6 months, for 12years if you could invest your money elsewhere at 10% compounded semiannually? How would this change if those payments began immediately?

If I register for a business number in Canada and provide my social Insurance number. [ 1 Answers ]

If I register for a business number in Canada and provide my social Insurance number.. ... will my SIN always be "connected" with my business? In other words, as far as Canada REvenue is concerned are they 2 different entities? I want to apply for Bus # for a sole propriatorship

View more questions Search