Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheecharoni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Hurt- landlord responsible?
    I was hurt on the property 2 months ago,where I had recently moved . Apartment was not ready when I moved in. Thus for 2 days of construction I tried to function outside in pool area. When carrying some stuff to my little area, I tripped on palm grown overwalkway. I fell hard sustained bad leg injury. I asked manager about the property insurance re covering the medical costs. She flipped out saying that they were not responsible and she gave me no info.Injury progressed into a major deal, costing me thousands in medical bills, with permanent affects from injury. All I had asked about was coverage for medical due to injury from a fall on their property. Are they responsible?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 06:28 AM
    To be held responsible for an injury on the premises, the landlord or property manager must have been negligent in maintaining the property, and that negligence must have caused the injury. All of the following must be proven for a landlord to be held liable:

* It was the landlord's responsibility to maintain the portion of premises that caused the accident.
    * The landlord failed to take reasonable steps to avert the accident.
    * Fixing the problem (or at least giving adequate warnings) would not have been unreasonably expensive or difficult.
    * A serious injury was the probable consequence of not fixing the problem (the accident was foreseeable).
    * The landlord's failure -- his negligence -- caused the tenant's accident.
    * The tenant was genuinely hurt.

For example, if a tenant falls and breaks his ankle on a broken front door step, the landlord will be liable if the tenant can show all of the following:

* It was the landlord's responsibility to maintain the steps (this would usually be the case, because the steps are part of the common area, which is the landlord's responsibility).
    * The landlord failed to take reasonable measures to maintain the steps (for days or weeks, not if it had only been broken for minutes).
    * A repair would have been easy or inexpensive (fixing a broken step is a minor job).
    * The probable result of a broken step is a serious injury, and it was foreseeable (falling on a broken step is highly likely).
    * The broken step caused the injury (the tenant must be able to prove that he fell on the step and that the step is where he broke his ankle).
    * The tenant is really hurt (as in the case of a broken bone).

A tenant can file a personal injury lawsuit for medical bills, lost earnings, pain and other physical suffering, permanent physical disability and disfigurement, and emotional distress. A tenant can also sue for damage to personal property, such as a stereo or car, that results from faulty maintenance or unsafe conditions.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cheecharoni
    R they responsible?
    Hello cheech:

I don't know. That's why they have trials. However, I'd certainly visit a personal injury lawyer.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Yes, if things were just black and white ( although they should be) there would be no need for attorneys and trials, if you are the landlord, their attorney will tell them they can will, you go to an attorney and they will tell you that you can will, so you fight it out in court.

Also read your lease, since you were the tenant, not a vistor to the property, the law will address you differently than a visitor.
    Lawline Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 08:36 PM
    I am not sure where your accident occurred but here in New York where I practice personal injury law, the Landlord has the duty to maintain a safe place, free of hazards and defects for it's tenants. But here in New York a Claimant or Plaintiff (injured party) must prove the landlord had actual notice of the alleged defect. In other words the Plaintiff must prove the Landlord knew of the defect and after becoming aware of it had a reasonable time to remedy the defect and correct it. Proving notice often is a tough burden for the plaintiff. If the overgrown palm was open and obvious and had clearly been there a while making the pathway dangerous I would surely think the Landlord would be held liable. If you have any further questions please email me.

Lastly a consultation with an attorney of your state would be in order.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 08:40 PM
    I would take pictures of the overgrown walkway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who Was Responsible? [ 8 Answers ]

This is a video from the families who fought to create the 9/11 Commission - and succeeded! Who was responsible for 9/11? Everyone needs to see this! 9/11: Press for Truth

Who's Responsible: Her or Us? [ 2 Answers ]

We went into business with a friend a few months ago. It didn't work out for us so we pulled out. But before we pulled out, we purchased an insulated Van from Chevrolet and a $10,000 line of credit. My wife signed for both although both were put under the Corporations name. A few weeks later we...

Landlord Claiming Tenant Responsible for Hit and Run [ 7 Answers ]

Hello! To explain my situation I have rented since October a nice townhome in a quiet neighborhood. I pay my rent electronically so it has NEVER been late. I also keep my home clean and have never made a complaint or had a complaint. Yesterday I returned from work and after entering the garage and...

Am I responsible for this? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so last weekend I had a small party. I live in a duplex and my downstairs neighbor is a very good friend of mine. She and her boyfriend were at my party. Everyone who was there brought their own alcohol. After the party was over and I woke up in the morning, my neighbor and her boyfriend came...

Can the landlord be responsible? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I am new here and have a rather important question. The tenant next door to me is extremely bothersome with his loud music and late night arguments with women. I have called the police on several occasions but this last one he went into a tantrum yelling expletives and told me that "i watch...

View more questions Search