Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cassiebrett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 11:22 PM
    Hippa Violation?
    Hippa violation by Drs. Office by allowing a non employee full access to all pt records?

Ok this could get complicated fast. I had a good friend that "worked" w/o being paid at a Drs. Office. The Dr and she were friends and he had offered her 11.00 per hour and told her anytime she was ready to get paid to submit a bill.( at the time he was financially umable to pay her) Finally when she had worked almost 6 months she knew he was now financially stable enough to pay her so she sumbitted a bill for her hours x the rate of pay. He now claims she was not his employee and was only "helping out" If that is the case, and she had full access to all pt records, called in drug refills, made notes in charts and is still in position of his pts who are past due on bills (she was to collect them) is this not a Hippa violation? And if so on who's part? Her's? His? Thanks for any help.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 04:25 AM
    Check HIPPA laws. She was authorized to work there, was witnessed working there and did for six months. He thinks he can get away with not paying her. He's a jerk. I suppose he wants her to finish up the collections too?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 04:48 AM
    Did she discuss medical conditions or treatments of patients with people outside of the particular medical practice? If not, no, this is not a HIPAA violation.

HIPAA is about the right to privacy of ones medical conditions and/or treatment. Being a paid or unpaid employee has nothing to do with HIPAA.

Is the doctor a jerk? Heck yeah, but neither one of them violated the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) laws.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 4, 2008, 11:50 AM
    J_9 is completely correct. :)

(sorry, J, I have to spread rep before I can rate)
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 10:29 PM
    I worked in the medical field. I never did read the small print. Thanks J_9.
    Simone
    theresarobey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiebrett
    Hippa violation by Drs. office by allowing a non employee full access to all pt records?

Ok this could get complicated fast. I had a good friend that "worked" w/o being paid at a Drs. office. The Dr and she were friends and he had offered her 11.00 per hour and told her anytime she was ready to get paid to submit a bill.( at the time he was financially umable to pay her) Finally when she had worked almost 6 months she knew he was now financially stable enough to pay her so she sumbitted a bill for her hours x the rate of pay. He now claims she was not his employee and was only "helping out" If that is the case, and she had full access to all pt records, called in drug refills, made notes in charts and is still in position of his pts who are past due on bills (she was to collect them) is this not a Hippa violation? and if so on who's part? her's? his? Thanks for any help.
    Well to tel you the truth if your friend was working for him and he then stated she was not then yes it can be considered a HIPPA violation/. She had accsess to documents only staff personel that work for the doctor are allowed to have. Unless patients oked her having this access since she did not have a JOB with the sob doctor. She in fact could cause him problems if she filed this breach with the med field.
    Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Again this is NOT a HIPAA violation. She was working for the doctor, whether a paid employee or a volunteer, she had legal access to the files.

Now had she taken the information she knew about the patients medical conditions and therapies and told others, such as neighbors, friends, etc, that would be a violation of rights. As long as she kept that info to herself, she did not violate the privacy of the patients.
    theresarobey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Yes I agree.to thatr but in fact if she was not legally employed as per what the doctor is saying than in fact she had no need to access the files whether she tells others or not. There is a fine line in regards to the HIPPA laws ineffect. If in fact she was able to see these and she is not employed but just persay a person off the street it is in fact a violation because then whom gave her the access rights if not the patients. THIS is a very fine line I am sorry that you feel different. Many times even as a nurse I am not allowed to know if people have certain illnesses that can put me at risk if the person does not wish for me to know.:rolleyes:
    Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 01:21 PM
    She was an "employee" in a volunteer status.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 8, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by theresarobey
    yes I agree.to thatr but in fact if she was not legally employed as per what the doctor is saying than in fact she had no need to access the files whether she tells others or not. There is a fine line in reguards to the HIPPA laws ineffect. If in fact she was able to see these and she is not employed but just persay a person off the street it is in fact a violation because then whom gave her the access rights if not the patients. THIS is a very fine line i am sorry that you feel different. many times even as a nurse I am not allowed to know if people have certain illnesses that can put me at risk if the person does not wish for me to know.:rolleyes:
    I'm sorry, this is incorrect. HIPAA has nothing to do with who gets a paycheck. I worked for several years as an unpaid nurse aid in every area of a hospital. Regardless of receiving a paycheck, I was entrusted to keep any material I came across on confidential status. It does not matter if I was paid, as stated above, because I was a "volunteer status employee".
    Anyone at any level working (paid or not) is personally entrusted with respecting HIPAA laws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

HIPPA violation? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a lap band surgery performed in mid December. I work for a surgeon who happens to be the chief in the department. After informing him and my supervisor of my surgery, he called his lover and told him of my upcoming surgery. He then had him call me and try to talk me out of...

Hippa Violation [ 3 Answers ]

Is it a violation of HIPPA or any privacy law when a former dental office sends a letter to our minor children with their account numbers, birthday and our home telephone number printed on an address label? I really don't want the US postal service delivering private mail with our phone # and...

IS this a Hippa violation? [ 4 Answers ]

In my office we have mental health professionals who have a bachelor's degree or above. My boss is thinking about letting our office manager read our plans, reviews, and notes for "typographical errors and accuracy." I believe that this is a violation of HIPPA as A. she does not have a degree in...

View more questions Search