Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Judy2Cats Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Who can tell me about soldering irons
    I've tried using five different soldering irons for stained glass projects the past three months and they all stop heating up after a short while. The first one stopped working after three weeks and the last one today stopped working after a minute. All of our other appliances continue to work in all of the outlets.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 09:34 PM
    Your using the wrong tool. You should really consider resistance soldering. You'll never go back. With resistance soldering you pass a current through what your trying to heat. It heats instantly. I knew a guy who was in business doing model building using brass. He never went back either.

Simplistic view:

Flux and assemble like usual. You can have a pair of tweezer like tongs and can clamp an object between the tongs. You have a dial that selects the power and a foot pedal. You must make intimate contact to the metal or metal objects to be joined. You then press the foot pedal and pass a current until it heats up. Apply solder. Solder won't stick to the probes. Then hold until it cools. Release tongs.

Soldering Irons, Resistance Soldering, Solder Pots by American Beauty Soldering Tools

I'd also consider the UT-100SiK butane soldering iron as well. There is model without the built-in ignitor. That model will torch, but that isn't necessary.

Master Appliance Product Information

But to answer your question. The element of an electric soldering iron can be fragile or the iron could be of poor quality. Constantly heating and cooling can degrade the element. Dropping the iron can degrade it as well.

The bottom line is that it's not suitable for stained glass.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Soldering copper stub [ 1 Answers ]

this is close (5/8") to the stucco wall. Will I be able to get the joint hot enough to solder, or will the stucco wall suck away the heat?

Alternatives to Sweat Soldering [ 5 Answers ]

Basement bathroom install again. What are my alternatives to sweat soldering for the supply lines? I feel more confident in my ability to install a more mechanical connection. What is your recommendation, pros and cons of each? 1. Copper: Can I use compression fittings throughout instead of...

Soldering heat shield [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to protect wood studs and fiberglass insulation when you are soldering inside wall stud bays ? I have to solder a 1.5 inch elbow and there is only about one half inch between the wood stud and the elbow. Someone told me that aluminum foil is a good heat shield. I have some thin...

Draining water lines before soldering [ 2 Answers ]

I'm currently putting a bathroom in my basement. I'm ready to tie into my existing water lines. I need to know if I need to shut off and empty my water heat in order to drain the water out of the lines. The water heater is in the basement and would be lower than any faucet. I would prefer not to...

Soldering a Moen shower valve [ 4 Answers ]

I'm new to this forum and have a question concerning the best way to solder a Moen model 62320 shower valve. Do I need to remove the cartridge? I was afraid it would get too hot and melt the o-rings. How do you know how long to heat the joint before you apply solder. It seems some of my joints are...

View more questions Search