Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Tipping etiquette
    Okay, I need some help clearing up a debate.

What is the "proper" etiquette when tipping for services such as provided by an owner of a company versus just an employee of the company? Do you tip more or less when the owner of the company is providing the service?

I think you would tip the same because they gave you the service. My sister doesn't think so. So what does etiquette dictate?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 07:54 PM
    What service, I would not tip my attorney for providing my legal service.

I would tip my barber if he was the owner of the shop or not.

I would not tip my doctor but I would tip the man who mows my yard ( maybe not every time but at special occassions) he bills me by the month.

I don't tip the banker who takes care of my investments, I may give them a small gift at christmas.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 08:03 PM
    If it is the same service that you receive - regardless if it is from an employee of a business or the owner of the business - same tip. You are not tipping because of the guy is the owner, you are tipping based on quality of service.

Also, like Fr. Chuck asked, who all are you thinking of in this equation?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Oh yes, you can always tip your preacher, esp if you come to one of my services.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 09:55 AM
    I've mostly heard this debate over tipping the owner of a hair salon. From what I understand the etiquette USED TO BE that you don't tip the owner, because it is her/his salon. That, however has changed, and a tip is expected. It's my opinion you still tip, but perhaps tip a little less; so if you would have tipped 15%, tip 10%.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 06:16 PM
    When I think of tipping - I am thinking, waitress, stylist, manicurist, pizza delivery guy, etc.
    Not my doctor or lawyer.

The actual discussion came up after I got a hair cut from the owner of the salon and tipped as I normally would. My sis doesn't think a person should tip the owner of the business as much just for the simple fact that they are the owner. I didn't agree.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 06:20 PM
    I agree with you, NowWhat. I would tip as normal (or slightly less) because I'm tipping for the service.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 06:24 PM
    I'd tip for the service, regardless who gave it.

Likewise, I'd NOT tip for LACK of service, regardless who gave it.

If you were happy with the service you received, and it was the type of service you tip for--then tip the way you always would.
    Tertullian Posts: 33, Reputation: 3
    -

Jan 3, 2008, 01:30 PM
    You are correct: tipping is a form of recognition for the service rendered... no matter who provides it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tipping etiquette [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I went to a hair salon and had my hair straightened.. I paid $300 plus $70 tip.. 3 days later my hair was wavy again so I had the stylist re-do it . She didn't charge me for the service again but she did charge me for the hair supplies which came to $25.00. Should I have tipped...

Tipping on take out food? [ 11 Answers ]

Sometimes I have a meal in a restaurant and have a take out order for my son. I have only been paying a tip on my meal and drink... should I be tipping on the take out too? I do not think so, as there is no service involved, ex: refillling drink, bringing condiments, etc. Also I was told that...

Tipping for Wedding [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting married in May and I had a few quesitons that no one can help me out on. 1. I read that the groom is supposed to be responsible for making a "donation" to the church that your getting married at. That's fine... how much? 2. Do you tip the servers at the reception venue and if...

Tipping [ 6 Answers ]

Should I tip the guy installing carpet at my house. If so, how much? He doesn't own the business, he's the installer for the company from which I purchased the carpet.

Yellow tipping [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me what yellow tipping means?

View more questions Search