Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Actually you can teach moral virtue all day and it will not make a hoot of difference. We learn intellectual virtues such as math by teachers but moral virtues are learned by exercising them, by forming habits in them. As I mentioned earlier, it is from playing the lyre that both good and bad lyre-players are produced. The same is true of appetites and emotions; some men become moderate in appetites and good-tempered, others self-indulgent and quick-tempered, by behaving in one way or the other in the appropriate circumstances. Thus, in one word, states of character arise out of like activities.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jan 2, 2008, 03:43 PM
    How can one practice moral virtue if it is not taught in the first place ?
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 03:50 PM
    I don't know about you but I certainly see the results of the different human behaviors, both good and bad; which in turn shows me what is right and what is wrong behavior in accordance with happiness.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    what is right and what is wrong behavior in accordance with happiness.

And is happiness always a part of good behavior?
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 04:05 PM
    I don't believe happiness is ever a part of good behavior. Good behavior is an action and happiness a state of mind.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 04:09 PM
    shows me what is right and what is wrong behavior in accordance with happiness.
    So what did you mean by that?
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 04:18 PM
    If you were asked to describe a knife, what would you say about it? In the end you would probably also say that its purpose is to cut things. Humans generally create things for specific purposes. I used happiness in the same way, both good and bad; which in turn shows me what is right and what is wrong behavior in accordance with purpose.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 04:21 PM
    So if you create a moral code and follow it so that you do good and have good morals, you will be happy?
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 04:29 PM
    You would be happier than you would if you didn't practice the moral code you believed to be correct. I believe happiness is the “thing in itself,” as Kant called it. That is it is the final goal of humanity as a whole.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 04:32 PM
    I don't believe happiness is ever a part of good behavior.
    Therefore, the above isn't correct. Happiness is the result of good behavior.

Thus --

[Happiness] is the final goal of humanity as a whole.
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 04:40 PM
    No happiness is the goal, not the means to the goal.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Happiness is the end result of good behavior.
    I guess we agree.
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 04:51 PM
    No we don't, because good behavior does not necessitate happiness, it only makes it possible. I could save someone life and loose a foot in the process, that would not make me happy, and at the same time the person I saved may not be happy either.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 04:55 PM
    I never said it was the means.

Goal = Result.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 04:57 PM
    [Happiness] only makes it possible.
    So give an example or two.

I can't have good morals if I am not happy?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Helloooooooo,

There is a *gigantic moral code* in place in America other than any religious code... they are the comprehensive system of LAWS concerning just about everything that causes damages to citizens. Damage other citizens... you go to jail!

Losing the morality of religion in public life *has already happened*, and long ago. Replaced by the JUSTICE system.

Today, people are very interested in *personal ethics*... this is what my previous answer concerned. Personal Ethics. The quality of being a large cut above the average person...
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 05:06 PM
    WG

I would agree with you had you said…Happiness is [sometimes or often] the result of good behavior.

I suppose the misunderstanding was that I interpreted what you said as “Always,” the case.:)
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Forgot, *parents* are supposed to teach sexual morality and proper enjoyment of sex. They do a terrible job here in America because the citizens in our country have been made sexually repressed and weird about sex by RELIGION... 400 years of Christian sex education!
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 05:07 PM
    You don't have to believe in GOD to have morals.

Buddhism and taoism have similar teaching about morals without believing in GOD.
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Helloooooooo,

There is a *gigantic moral code* in place in America other than any religious code.....they are the comprehensive system of LAWS concerning just about everything that causes damages to citizens. Damage other citizens...you go to jail!!

Losing the morality of religion in public life *has already happened*, and long ago. Replaced by the JUSTICE system.

Today, people are very interested in *personal ethics*...this is what my previous answer concerned. Personal Ethics. The quality of being a large cut above the average person....
    Choux, participation in Politics is a moral endeavor. Many would point to the Taliban in Afghanistan as an extreme example of this. And there have been some people who point out that the lack of virtue, due to the idea that there is no truth, no set virtues, has led to the lack of participation in America of almost half the population.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Herpes, Law, and Morality. [ 25 Answers ]

I've had herpes since I was 15, I was raped. Anyway I've told almost all of my partners since then until my ex, R. I got really drunk one night and forgot. I didn't tell him. After that I was afraid to tell him. I fell in love. I never did tell him. He's really good friends with my other ex, B. B...

Republicans are the party of morality? [ 30 Answers ]

Oops another sex scandal: The Raw Story | Wisconsin GOP chair faces charges in enticement of teenage boy To add to the others: Republican County Constable Larry Dale Floyd was arrested on suspicion of soliciting sex with an 8-year old girl. Floyd has repeatedly won elections for Denton...

Norms of morality [ 1 Answers ]

What is norms of morality?? :confused:

Ethics and Morality [ 8 Answers ]

I am having a debate with my grandfather: What are the ethics and morality involved in Christianity, Wicca, Islam, and Judaism?

Religion [ 1 Answers ]

What are some Historical figures and events of Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism , Daoism?

View more questions Search